Project 2021: Reimagining tour

Fundamental question to this is what would be a top ten list of cities that could host Finals week if not Indy (and still keep up with the logistics of such)?

41 minutes ago, Wog said:

Fundamental question to this is what would be a top ten list of cities that could host Finals week if not Indy (and still keep up with the logistics of such)?

What’s the criteria for that? Needs would be number of schools/rehearsal sites, adequate performing venue and number of hotel rooms, right? Additional would be number of origin cities with direct flights, average daily room rate in August, hotel occupancy in August, number of rooms within reasonable distance to the stadium, and average weather. 

Anyone disagree or have something I’m missing. I have access to a lot of this info and am happy to compile. 

7 minutes ago, ouooga said:

What’s the criteria for that? Needs would be number of schools/rehearsal sites, adequate performing venue and number of hotel rooms, right? Additional would be number of origin cities with direct flights, average daily room rate in August, hotel occupancy in August, number of rooms within reasonable distance to the stadium, and average weather. 

Anyone disagree or have something I’m missing. I have access to a lot of this info and am happy to compile. 

Exactly where I was going with this.  Even stadium egress for equipmen/props is a big issue these days.  Not too many indoor venues either (which is another debate by itself... Indoor vs Outdoor Finals).   After such a list is generated... where does Indy compare?  

Edited by Wog

9 hours ago, ouooga said:

So it was a traditional bidding process? And the main crux was the benefits for DCI to move business operations there v. the benefit of hosting the Finals week there?

Edit: I'm asking if Indy won some sort of bid as a permanent Finals week host, not about business HQ relocation incentives. If the entire reason DCI Finals are permanently in Indy is because DCI HQ is in Indy, I can understand that (though I don't agree with it, at least I can understand it). 

i dont remember the specfics anymore, but basically it was a smart financial move for DCI in terms of not only moving the business, but the deal for hosting finals, which I believe even had clauses that helped lowered costs should attendance be lower, which is was the first few years. Because of the terms of the deal, DCi then signed a multi year contract upon moving, and then re-upped the other year til 2028. 

And the big thing is the corps, which are DCI, all agreed continuing to have the same flow for tour every year worked out best for all and made the most money for all. It's not like the office went and cut the deal without the corps signing off on it.

and I know it was said elsewhere, but you can't extend the season anymore with school. hell even DCA is having issues with continiuing to stay on Labor Day weekend

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Recurring Tour Model is a euphemism meaning 'the DCI tour is in a rut'.

nope. It means they found a flow that all agreed to with the best chance at increasing the payouts to the corps. And since attendance is doing very well, I'd say it's working.

• Like 1

There is ZERO incentive for DCI to move finals out of Indy, or change the tour model for that matter. Attendance is up at most (if not all) of the major event stops. This model helps them to spend time and reach audiences in key demographics (both theirs and their sponsor partners).  The chances of DCI returning a finals to the west coast are nil. It's just not going to happen, at least in the near future. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont remember the specfics anymore, but basically it was a smart financial move for DCI in terms of not only moving the business, but the deal for hosting finals, which I believe even had clauses that helped lowered costs should attendance be lower, which is was the first few years. Because of the terms of the deal, DCi then signed a multi year contract upon moving, and then re-upped the other year til 2028. 

And the big thing is the corps, which are DCI, all agreed continuing to have the same flow for tour every year worked out best for all and made the most money for all. It's not like the office went and cut the deal without the corps signing off on it.

and I know it was said elsewhere, but you can't extend the season anymore with school. hell even DCA is having issues with continiuing to stay on Labor Day weekend

I wouldn't be surpirsed to see them condense the season by 1 week in the coming years. Colleges and high schools are starting school earlier and earlier.

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

I wouldn't be surpirsed to see them condense the season by 1 week in the coming years. Colleges and high schools are starting school earlier and earlier.

a lot would depend on when school ends. i think spring training is starting too early