Project 2021: Reimagining tour

54 minutes ago, Lance said:

I'm sure somebody has already brought it up, but do corps release numbers on their merch sales in specific regions?

I don't think anyone has brought it up on this thread since the subject is touring.  It may be in a non-profit discussion thread.

24 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I don't think anyone has brought it up on this thread since the subject is touring.  It may be in a non-profit discussion thread.

I know that corps have refused to come up to my neck of the woods for a 2nd time because their merch sales were low, and they did better further east. 

On 11/6/2018 at 12:36 AM, Jeff Ream said:

nope. It means they found a flow that all agreed to with the best chance at increasing the payouts to the corps. And since attendance is doing very well, I'd say it's working.

You are correct - it is a stupid idea for DCI to expand the fan base beyond the status quo.  

30 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You are correct - it is a stupid idea for DCI to expand the fan base beyond the status quo.  

does the possible...key word possible...expansion offset the expanded costs, which are more than probable? You don't get those big fancy NFL stadiums or the Rose Bowl at the discounted rate they get in Indy.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:20 PM, Jeff Ream said:

does the possible...key word possible...expansion offset the expanded costs, which are more than probable? You don't get those big fancy NFL stadiums or the Rose Bowl at the discounted rate they get in Indy.

I am not necessarily suggesting new major stadium / regionals, just a bit of variety in the routes to get there.  The core issue (pun unintended but noted) is that there might not be enough Corps these days for DCI to put together 3-5 strings (routes) of shows between say, San Antonio & Atlanta.  Was easier when there were ~40 members of what is now World Class - 1- 3 finalists & 4 others could easily be split between 4 or so routes.

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I am not necessarily suggesting new major stadium / regionals, just a bit of variety in the routes to get there.  The core issue (pun unintended but noted) is that there might not be enough Corps these days for DCI to put together 3-5 strings (routes) of shows between say, San Antonio & Atlanta.  Was easier when there were ~40 members of what is now World Class - 1- 3 finalists & 4 others could easily be split between 4 or so routes.

I don't believe you can just pick and choose tour sites.  You need show sponsors and housing.  To make changes each year puts a huge burden on corps and DCI to coordinate and obtain all the ancillary elements of a show site.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2018 at 1:45 PM, Lance said:

I know that corps have refused to come up to my neck of the woods for a 2nd time because their merch sales were low, and they did better further east. 

I doubt corps would not go somewhere based on t shirt sales.  If there are insufficient souvie sales (which are popularity and yearly success driven) there are probably low ticket sales too.  

55 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I doubt corps would not go somewhere based on t shirt sales.

Merch is more than shirts, and it's a big source of income for corps, whether you doubt it or not. 

I'm not making it up.  We straight up had a WC corps tell us they wouldn't tour up here because of merch sales. 

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I don't believe you can just pick and choose tour sites.  You need show sponsors and housing.  To make changes each year puts a huge burden on corps and DCI to coordinate and obtain all the ancillary elements of a show site.

In the olden days, there were new show sites each year (& some were lost a well).  DC World used to have a full-page (usually back cover) of DCM schedule where DCM also advertised they were always looking for new show sites.

It is unfortunate that for many people the only time they get to see Drum Corps is either travelling 7+ hrs to a show (each way), or watching it in a movie theater 

In general, the paradigm needs to shift from 'No, tour cannot change because...'  to 'Yes, tour can change if...'