who leads who?

Admittedly i"m a Dino..that said, after watching BOA this weekend, it dawned on me that drum corps and band resemble each to a significant degree..That said: Does the marching arts creativity come from high school bands or does DCI influence the direction of  the marching arts?

13 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

Admittedly i"m a Dino..that said, after watching BOA this weekend, it dawned on me that drum corps and band resemble each to a significant degree..That said: Does the marching arts creativity come from high school bands or does DCI influence the direction of  the marching arts?

in my view they both influence the other, as the staffs increasingly tends to be the same for many of the top scholastic MB's and DCI Corps. We could also add in the WGI Groups that both influence, and are influenced by, what we see/ hear in DCI.

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

in my view they both influence the other, as the staffs increasingly tends to be the same for many of the top scholastic MB's and DCI Corps. We could also add in the WGI Groups that both influence, and are influenced by, what we see/ hear in DCI.

thank you for your observation

• Like 1

just saw Hebron high school..I see the interchange ...even to their SCV mello ending!

I believe for years that the big HS marching bands designers, WGI designers and DCI designers are one in the same. The DCI designers try out and tweak their ideas on their BOA/WGI units.

• Like 2

It used to be DCI leading BOA, but that changed once DCI joined in on the prop arms race. BOA has been playing that game for decades now. DCI design trends starting aping BOA in the late 2000's and continue to do so today.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Actually.... Imo WGI Percussion is the single leading creative driving force in the marching world. Many things people think are innovative on the field were done first by a drumline in Dayton.

Totally agree. Especially design and now the look costumes (not uniforms). 

• Like 1

Watching a bunch of BOA today I saw stuff dci hasn’t seen, and I saw stuff dci did first. 

I feel WGI percussion is the most creative, but the trend there is to beat ideas to death, especially as shows get sold by the website groups to the lower classes 

• Like 1