who leads who?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Watching a bunch of BOA today I saw stuff dci hasn’t seen, and I saw stuff dci did first. 

I feel WGI percussion is the most creative, but the trend there is to beat ideas to death, especially as shows get sold by the website groups to the lower classes 

WGI winds is in its infancy too. I expect for that to start defining trends in the years to come.

• Like 1

Just watched Tarpon Spring Outdoor Performance Ensemble....music book is not difficult and loud when required.. but #### that show visually is a Mother...those now infamous screens do add a great deal in supporting their theme

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Just watched Tarpon Spring Outdoor Performance Ensemble....music book is not difficult and loud when required.. but #### that show visually is a Mother...those now infamous screens do add a great deal in supporting their theme

I dunno, I found them super distracting. I could never tell where I was supposed to watch.

7 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I dunno, I found them super distracting. I could never tell where I was supposed to watch.

Which means you and hundreds of others in the audience are not watching the MM.  These types of props, forced on the mm and supporters by adult designers,  may end up hurting those marching groups who can't keep up with the well funded groups.

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Which means you and hundreds of others in the audience are not watching the MM.  These types of props, forced on the mm and supporters by adult designers,  may end up hurting those marching groups who can't keep up with the well funded groups.

actually, it was the 3 ring circus approach that i found fun and amusing...I don't know the adults you elude to ..i would only hope that they have good intentions re; the kids

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I believe most mms love when they have something different in way of props. Also the same has been said of funds each and every time something new was introduced to the activity, including guard attire, multiple use of equipment and yes props which are nothing new to the activity. Props are just more interesting than some homemade mostly crooked black screen or cheap looking thing that was made in some craft class somewhere. Well actually there still have been those..lol

23 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I believe most mms love when they have something different in way of props. 

Do marching members REALLY enjoy props?  Honestly, I absolutely HATED the prop I had to carry on and (mostly) off the field before/after the show long before props were a thing BITD 1990...It was a very heavy base filled with sand which had a very tall gold flag which was inserted into the base to form a byzantine dome on the field...I put myself all out on that field every night I performed...it was a real ##### carrying that thing off the field after giving everything I had both physically and emotionally to the nights performance and back then A-town twice in one day...Well at least these days ya push most stuff around on wheels...lol

Edited by Liahona

42 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Do marching members REALLY enjoy props?  Honestly, I absolutely HATED the prop I had to carry on and (mostly) off the field before/after the show long before props were a thing BITD 1990...It was a very heavy base filled with sand which had a very tall gold flag which was inserted into the base to form a byzantine dome on the field...I put myself all out on that field every night I performed...it was a real ##### carrying that thing off the field after giving everything I had both physically and emotionally to the nights performance and back then A-town twice in one day...Well at least these days ya push most stuff around on wheels...lol

Well, guards don't like lugging several hundred pound floor tarps around either( winter) BUT ask them if they want to do without it OR that they don't think they can be very cool. ASk a kid if they like loading buses every night or clean up crews etc etc. just something you do

they like ( as you said ) moving this stuff around? N,o I don't think so BUT still think many of them are quite cool.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I believe most mms love when they have something different in way of props. Also the same has been said of funds each and every time something new was introduced to the activity, including guard attire, multiple use of equipment and yes props which are nothing new to the activity. Props are just more interesting than some homemade mostly crooked black screen or cheap looking thing that was made in some craft class somewhere. Well actually there still have been those..lol

Great point.  If you're going to use props/special effects, do them right, at the highest design level possible. 

And make sure you have a good fundraising team.  :laughing:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Well, guards don't like lugging several hundred pound floor tarps around either( winter)

I had no idea they weighed that much...