Corps Style HS Band Spells Out Racial Slur

1 hour ago, Pete Leland said:

It's a Senior Night Prank gone bad.  We need a contest to see what other words can be spelled using B-R-O-N-C-O-S

Just wondering if the racist use of the word has not been passed to that generation in that part of the country. Can’t say what it is but saw what I took as a ethnic insult but the person who posted it was clueless (or so they said). Poster was from another generation and another part of the country. And.. in LOuisiana in the late 70s being a registered (that word) rear end meant you were a redneck. Saw that license plate in the French Quarter 

And heaven help my music collection.... Charlie Daniels band had that southern phrase in a song.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I think I missed a part of my racial slur instruction. I didn’t realize that what those kids spelled out was out-of-bounds. Not that this excuses them, because it sounds like they did understand, and even kids should be aware that sensitivities are a bit heightened at present.

But it reminds me of a picture I once saw of a prank in a college dorm in the late 70’s (when people were less easily offended). Everyone on one side of the dorm was told to turn their lights on or off at a certain time and come out into the field in front of the building.  When the students came outside they were treated to a very large digital display of a 4 letter word. You can fill in the rest. 

Edited by Icer

Think Icer just gave an example to the point I was trying to make. Also... have caught flack for not using the proper (most up to date) term for an ethnic group in a discussion so could go both ways. 

Kick all involved, off the band. Suspend them for a week or two of school and take away any end of year awards. 

How would you like to be one of the tuba players who did not do this? Probably feel like you have a target on your back. People see you and wonder if you were one that did it

4 hours ago, Icer said:

I think I missed a part of my racial slur instruction. I didn’t realize that what those kids spelled out was out-of-bounds. Not that this excuses them, because it sounds like they did understand, and even kids should be aware that sensitivities are a bit heightened at present.

But it reminds me of a picture I once saw of a prank in a college dorm in the late 70’s (when people were less easily offended). Everyone on one side of the dorm was told to turn their lights on or off at a certain time and come out into the field in front of the building.  When the students came outside they were treated to a very large digital display of a 4 letter word. You can fill in the rest. 

You didn't realize the word was out of bounds??? Really?  Where have you been for the last 100 years?

Kids in Georgia fully understand what this word means. That word has been used in that state for over a century. You can throw in the entire South, and the midwest in their as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deftguy said:

You didn't realize the word was out of bounds??? Really?  Where have you been for the last 100 years?

Kids in Georgia fully understand what this word means. That word has been used in that state for over a century. You can throw in the entire South, and the midwest in their as well. 

I travel all over the country, but it’s not something I heard used in any way but referring to Davy Crockett’s hat.  Nevertheless, if these kids intentionally spelled it out, they knew what it meant. 

I didn't know that was a no no word until my 30s....

I used to go hunting with my father, and used that word to signify what we were hunting.  So, I never got exposed to it being used as a slur.

After I found out that it was one, I was surprised.

Anyway, when I lived in Washington DC and the metro area, I noticed that there's a car dealership with the name spelled with a K. I thought that was in bad taste as there are license plate frames all over the place with the offending word print on them.

Edited by jjeffeory