Corps Style HS Band Spells Out Racial Slur

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I didn't know that was a no no word until my 30s....

I used to go hunting with my father, and used that were to signify what we were hunting.  So, I never got exposed to it being used as a slur.

After I found out that it was one, I was surprised.

Anyway, when I lived in Washington DC and the metro area, I noticed that there's a car dealership with the name spelled with a K. I thought that was in bad taste as there are license plate frames all over the place with the offending word print on them.

I went to school with someone who that was their last name. The K one. 

And I know someone who their last name is what the sousaphones spelled.  I mean, you can’t help what your name is.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, deftguy said:

You didn't realize the word was out of bounds??? Really?  Where have you been for the last 100 years?

Kids in Georgia fully understand what this word means. That word has been used in that state for over a century. You can throw in the entire South, and the midwest in their as well. 

honestly I was in my 20's until I knew. to me, after being addicted to the book "Where the Red Fern Grows" as a kid, i thought that word was the shortened version of raccoon used to discuss hunting them

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

And I know someone who their last name is what the sousaphones spelled.  I mean, you can’t help what your name is.  

I lived in Louisiana for several years. and some of the Cajuns there refer to themselves as c***-as*.

...which brings me to the the joke I was told by a Cajun fellow: What's the difference between a c***-as* and a dumb-a**?  The Sabine (river).    That's the river that borders Louisiana and Texas...

So, there's an anecdote for you... 

I'm glad they didn't spell out the N word. I'd be a lot more outraged by that word. I just can't stand it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

I lived in Louisiana for several years. and some of the Cajuns there refer to themselves as c***-as*.

...which brings me to the the joke I was told by a Cajun fellow: What's the difference between a c***-as* and a dumb-a**?  The Sabine (river).    That's the river that borders Louisiana and Texas...

So, there's an anecdote for you... 

I'm glad they didn't spell out the N word. I'd be a lot more outraged by that word. I just can't stand it.

I was thinking of unfortunate names and Vic Hitler Jr., the narcoleptic comic from Hill Street Blues, popped into my head. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

honestly I was in my 20's until I knew. to me, after being addicted to the book "Where the Red Fern Grows" as a kid, i thought that word was the shortened version of raccoon used to discuss hunting them

And there is the ever popular Maine Coon cat.  There are things with that name as their name.  But no one should be playing dumb on this situation, this day in age with all the sensitivity about race in this country.  For these young people though, we do need to remember their brains area long way off to full development.  They may have fully realized what they were doing but not the impact what they did would have.  Think a college recruiter would notice?

• Like 2

All this makes me dread the first time I see a fencer from Niger or Nigeria at an event in the US and has their last name and IOC country code on their back...(NIG and NGR respectively.   And it wasn't much better in the past when Niger was NGR and Nigeria was NGA)

• Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 3:42 PM, Jeff Ream said:

sadly, kids will be kids. 

And from the looks of it.... DUMB kids. Low Brass pranks are common, but pulling this one?

Then again, even South Park mocks the same term (note mocks) with Cartman's superhero alter-ego. I remember watching that for the first time and was pretty surprised they went there.

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yes in regards to the spellings and variations on the last name "Kuhn". Friend's family did research on his family tree and deeper back there were those spelling variations.

18 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes in regards to the spellings and variations on the last name "Kuhn". Friend's family did research on his family tree and deeper back there were those spelling variations.

Worked with a guy down in Nah ‘Lins with that name  (two Os) and first name of Kirby. Had that sloooow way of talking with deep voice and soft southern (But not Cajun) accent. Not a nice way to put it but wasn’t until met him face to face realized what race he was. Just couldn’t tell over the phone. All I could think of hope he didn’t have to say his last name really loud because of his soft voice and have trouble start.

on topic wonder if society has downed using racist terms so much that younger people aren’t that exposed to it (except idiot websites). Definitely heard them in the 60s being near a city that had a big change in ethnic demographics. Not to mention the citys 1969 riots

Edited by JimF-LowBari