Corps Style HS Band Spells Out Racial Slur

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I wonder if you tint the panes of glass that make up your glass house. 

Just curious if you have kids, or if you have a career that involves kids.

You're certainly critical - kids should be cut, directors fired.  Tough crowd.

I've never really understood the "someone should have to go down"  argument.  How does that help?  Personally, I would rather see things healed by open-minded discussion, understanding and growth.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

I've never really understood the "someone should have to go down"  argument.  How does that help?  Personally, I would rather see things healed by open-minded discussion, understanding and growth.

I think it's largely the same sentiment that grips the greater drum corps activity at the moment.

Babies get thrown out with the bathwater and, in larger corporations, the error can be glossed over and accommodated generally.

Not so in our little niche of a niche.

Talent is hard to come by in many industries.  The bar should be high.  Rational and high, IMO.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:41 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I went to school with someone who that was their last name. The K one. 

And I know someone who their last name is what the sousaphones spelled.  I mean, you can’t help what your name is.  

That car dealership is still in the DC-Baltimore area...I see their TV ads all the time here.

But you're right, a family name is a family name. For better or worse.

Honestly, though... if my name had been Al Kayda, I would have changed it on 9/12. :laughing:

• Haha 3

So fire the director even if he knew nothing about it? Can see kids doing stupid stuff just to get rid of teachers, etc using that logic.

And that car dealership has been around for decades as remember it in my DC/VA travels in the 80s. Noticed it because of family with Germanic spelling in my old car club (also for decades).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Open minded discussion, understanding, and growth are rare commodities today, or so it can seem. 

Whether or not “someone should have to go down” has a great deal to do with the situation. I’m not sure it works. I do think it is important to make sure an incident such as this is isolated. If the director runs a tight ship, and this happened, a verbal, perhaps written warning is sufficient. If there are other signs of not knowing what is happening, poorly prepared classes/rehearsals, lack of organization, an inability to maintain discipline, the prank could be a sign of lack of control. That is a different issue. I would also say that if racism is a problem in the district, and the race of those involved is not relevant, a racial slur is a racial slur, that has to be taken into consideration too. If the school’s administrator who supervises the music program is not doing his/her job, perhaps thst head should roll. However, if you have a head roll just to make someone an example, do you get rid of the director, or principal, or superintendent? Whose head rolls to teach a lesson?

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So fire the director even if he knew nothing about it? Can see kids doing stupid stuff just to get rid of teachers, etc using that logic.

And that car dealership has been around for decades as remember it in my DC/VA travels in the 80s. Noticed it because of family with Germanic spelling in my old car club (also for decades).

The worst place to keep a secret is in a high school setting, so somewhere along the line it is likely word would get out that a prank was planned to get a teacher fired. However, in a school setting, the director would be held responsible even if he/she had no idea of the prank. It may not result in dismissal, but the expectation would be a teacher should always be on top of everything. Teaching is very rewarding, but the expectations placed in on teachers are many, and quite a few can seem unreasonable.

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That car dealership is still in the DC-Baltimore area...I see their TV ads all the time here.

But you're right, a family name is a family name. For better or worse.

Honestly, though... if my name had been Al Kayda, I would have changed it on 9/12. :laughing:

What if it was that Heywood guy in all the recent rumors Jeff mentioned recently? :whistle:

Edited by BigW
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

The worst place to keep a secret is in a high school setting, so somewhere along the line it is likely word would get out that a prank was planned to get a teacher fired. However, in a school setting, the director would be held responsible even if he/she had no idea of the prank. It may not result in dismissal, but the expectation would be a teacher should always be on top of everything. Teaching is very rewarding, but the expectations placed in on teachers are many, and quite a few can seem unreasonable.

Another case study on this subject here:

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2009-10-06/news/25175085_1_band-director-band-boosters-band-students

And truly a very good guy. The program hasn't shown it's head in competition since after a pretty long run with some reasonable successes.

19 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And, in fact, hip hop artist Khaled Mohamed Khaled (who was born and bred in New Orleans) changed his stage name from Arab Attack to DJ Khaled shortly after 9/11.

• Like 1