Corps Style HS Band Spells Out Racial Slur

50 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I just read the story, usually the tuba covers spell Broncos but in this case rearranged to spell the slur. No idea when this occurred in the show. My old crusty WWII vet director would have been sending kids home and yelling names so everyone knew who it was.

So where were the B and R in this order. We’re they just standing next to the others in a coincidental order?

reminds me on an SNL skit with Will Ferrell  I believe where he hosted a kids show with letters on their shirts and he spent the whole time preventing from accidentally spelling inappropriate words.

Was looking for better pic and found an update on ajc.com. At this point 3 Seniors planned it and a Junior went along with it at the last minute.

To quote my brother in law... morons

Edited by JimF-LowBari

50 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

I think it's possible that the kids didn't take the covers off their sousaphones for the halftime, as they are supposed to.  Formation changes led to the word being inadvertently spelled out.

It's not 100% clear, but that's the impression I'm getting from the story I read this morning.

I don't buy this for one New York nanosecond, but there certainly needs to be an explanation. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly, kids will be kids. 

Yeah, but for something like this, as they sing in South Pacific, "you have to be carefully taught" (or as they sing in Into the Woods, "children will listen"). In other words, kids willing to joke about racial slurs in public often come from families where that sort of thing is tolerated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yeah, but for something like this, as they sing in South Pacific, "you have to be carefully taught" (or as they sing in Into the Woods, "children will listen"). In other words, kids willing to joke about racial slurs in public often come from families where that sort of thing is tolerated.

And according to the AJC's update on the story, of the four students who pulled off the prank, one was Hispanic, one was Asian and two were African-American.

Edited by oldsoprano

7 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

And according to the AJC's update on the story, of the four students who pulled off the prank, one was Hispanic, one was Asian and two were African-American.

Well, "often" is not always. But as they sing in Avenue Q, "everyone's a little bit racist". (I hadn't seen that story. Thanks for the update.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly, kids will be kids. 

Yup...IMO a bunch of goofballs thinking they were being funny, however misguided. There needs to be some sort of consequences, but given the ethnic mix of the four students, it was not a racial incident, just a prank that backfired.

When I was in HS, we played the "Girl from Ipanema", and the band formed a girl's hourglass figure for the tune. We were not a corps style band...this was 1969 or 1970.   We moved to a set and then played a tune. The director had  the hips-portion of the band sway back and forth during the tune. During the game, each of our two tubas decided it would be funny if they moved to the top half of the shape, right where the nipples would be located on the body. Nobody ever said a thing. Of course, our band was so lousy maybe nobody could tell just WHAT we were forming.     :dancin:

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know racial make up and trouble history of this school and school they played. Went to almost all white suburbs school but played some city mostly black schools. Two of those schools were banned from night games (even away games) for 3 years due to fights and death at a basketball game. Spelling out this word would start the riot. Worst thing I heard was one idiot trumpet player yelling anti Catholic crap when we played the local Catholic school. Well until a guy he knew said "never told you tthis but I am Catholic numb...."