Corps Style HS Band Spells Out Racial Slur

6 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Please don’t use that as an excuse. 

why? Kids can be taught well and still do stupid ####. I see it all the time

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In college marching band I recall [IN PRACTICE ONLY] when a few radical trombone squads collapsed the B into an F when we spelled Buckeyes the week we were playing Ohio State.  But they weren't stupid enough to do it during the game performance.

Ah yes -- it's always the trombones.

When I marched at NC State, when we played our Big Four rivals (UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest) at home, we'd spell out their name and play their fight song. The band director said it'd probably be the only time they heard it -- we marched 175 (all male volunteers -- we added the ladies a few years later) and the others had only music majors (maybe 80-100).  And the difference in teams during that era.

Anyway -- we were playing Duke and the 'bones were in charge of forming the "D" and you know where this is going.  IN PRACTICE about 8 bars into the Duke fight song, the trombones changed the "D" into a "P".  The band directors almost fell off the band tower. After they stop laughing and let the rest of the band in on our joke, we were STERNLY warned -- DON'T DO THIS AT THE GAME!  Of course we didn't, but I don't thing any of us finished playing that fight song we were laughing so hard at what might have been.

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

The BD had a message on the soles of their cymbal players in one of their 70’s finals performance.

That's probably where we got the idea. 

Perhaps this was meant to be a prank, and to give the benefit of the doubt, it may have been for shock value or to see if anyone was paying attention to the show, but given that the school is in Georgia, and racial tensions are pretty high in Georgia this election cycle in no small part due to the race for governor, it is more than a prank. Some have suggested history lessons. My guess is the prank was not due to ignorance. Suspension, not being allowed certain school privileges, or community service may be appropriate. Should the director be held responsible? Any of us who have spent any time in a classroom know student actions can occur and even the most observant of us have had things happen right in front of us where we have been caught off guard.  If the director had even an inkling, or knew and turned a blind eye, well, let the chips fall where they may.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

why? Kids can be taught well and still do stupid ####. I see it all the time

You might be mistaken, or that's just something unique to your area.

Around here they know everything and always make wise choices.  My teenagers told me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

During the 92 retreat, some of our contras banded together to leave a message for DCI on the field, using some white tape. Not the classiest or most sportsman-like thing, I admit, but it still made me laugh. (Yes, I took a picture and no, I won’t post it. 🙂)

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

Perhaps this was meant to be a prank, and to give the benefit of the doubt, it may have been for shock value or to see if anyone was paying attention to the show, but given that the school is in Georgia, and racial tensions are pretty high in Georgia this election cycle in no small part due to the race for governor, it is more than a prank. Some have suggested history lessons. My guess is the prank was not due to ignorance. Suspension, not being allowed certain school privileges, or community service may be appropriate. Should the director be held responsible? Any of us who have spent any time in a classroom know student actions can occur and even the most observant of us have had things happen right in front of us where we have been caught off guard.  If the director had even an inkling, or knew and turned a blind eye, well, let the chips fall where they may.

It's a Senior Night Prank gone bad.  We need a contest to see what other words can be spelled using B-R-O-N-C-O-S

2 hours ago, kkrepps said:

You might be mistaken, or that's just something unique to your area.

Around here they know everything and always make wise choices.  My teenagers told me.

my six year old insists it's always the cats

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

During the 92 retreat, some of our contras banded together to leave a message for DCI on the field, using some white tape. Not the classiest or most sportsman-like thing, I admit, but it still made me laugh. (Yes, I took a picture and no, I won’t post it. 🙂)

well your director had some physical gestures too