CANT GET A FINALS BLU RAY SHIPPEDTO UK ????

1 hour ago, drangin said:

After 46 years, someone at Drum Corps International just noticed that they can't ship internationally?

I've certainly ordered DVDs and the like from them directly to the UK in the past - although I think the last was 2008

Music licensing and royalty laws are constantly changing and becoming more complex. My guess is there must me a particular piece of music used by one of the corps this past summer that would have required significantly higher royalties, that making the entire DVD cost-prohibitive for distribution outside of the United States.

This all has to do with the "favored nations" clause in licensing. Let explain. I'm going to change the math in my example below to keep things simple.

• Pretend there are ten corps in finals (instead of 12) who will be on the DVD.
  • Each corps performs five songs (non-original works that required permission to arrange and perform, and will now require royalties to be paid to the composer(s))
  • That equals 50 songs that require royalties. 
  • DCI begins negotiating with Rights Holders. Some composers/artists ask for $1 per song, some ask for $2 per song, but one of the 50 songs is asking for $10 per song.
  • The favored nations clause states that all 50 composer/artists are paid the same. So that means they would all get $10. 
  • This can very easily and quickly increase the production costs of the DVD for DCI. If they decide to "mute" or cut that one song that required $10, then they only have to pay the remaining 49 composers $2 each.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, Lance said:

DCI blurays are region A.

If your bluray player can read region A blurays, then you're fine.

Any international shipping issue is a different matter.  I assume DCI just doesn't have an account set up with an international shipping company. 

They have shipped them to me since 1984 ie DVDs and CDs

I just placed an order with Amazon UK for some books I plan on giving as Christmas gifts. They are not available on the United States. One title cannot be shipped to the United  States. This has happened before with books published in Ireland and sold through Amazon UK. I could travel to London or Dublin and bring them home, but they can’t be sold to me and shipped to Boston. Why it applies to some books and not others I do not know. It must have something to do with copyright laws. So it is conceivable that due to licensing issues BluRays and DVD’s cannot be shipped to the UK. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

So it is conceivable that due to licensing issues BluRays and DVD’s cannot be shipped to the UK. 

So why doesn't DCI say..sorry to our UK customers...due to blah blah blah we can't ship to the UK blah blah blah...at least then everyone would not be guessing...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Liahona said:

So why doesn't DCI say..sorry to our UK customers...due to blah blah blah we can't ship to the UK blah blah blah...at least then everyone would not be guessing...

If they can't do this, there's no wonder they haven't been pro active on more serious issues.

The best way to solve this issue moving forward is getting an all region Bluray player. I have one, and a all region UHD disc player. Since Studios aren't selling many 3D movies in the US, I had to reach out of a couple of UK vender's that have region B 3D titles. 

If you can get someone to send you the Blurays, you problem would be solved for good. 

19 hours ago, Liahona said:

My guess is that if DCI cannot ship recorded products to the UK, it cannot ship them out of the United States, period. It’s not that difficult. Anyone who visits the Naxos music label often sees titles not available in one country or another and the availability is clearly stated.

I ran into the same issue back in the Spring this year, as I live in Canada. I called DCI and was told that no media product can be shipped outside of the USA. I was able to purchase the 2017 DVD's by having them shipped to an American friend of mine and then got the DVD's from him. DCI had no issues with receiving payment using my Canadian credit card and then mailing the DVD's to my friend. I was told that it has to do with the music licensing and that hopefully this will change in the future.