They're trashing our trophies

We actually did have an incident in our town with the football team.   

When we moved it a new high school, they built a new stadium and practice facility.  Because they weren't using the old one any more,   the district hired someone to come in and bulldoze all the buildings at the old facility.  They did not clean out a lot of the old pictures and trophies from the building before they dozed it.  People were MAD.   There are some old timers around here that are still bitter about it.   It's nuts.  

35 minutes ago, Kashi said:

We actually did have an incident in our town with the football team.   

When we moved it a new high school, they built a new stadium and practice facility.  Because they weren't using the old one any more,   the district hired someone to come in and bulldoze all the buildings at the old facility.  They did not clean out a lot of the old pictures and trophies from the building before they dozed it.  People were MAD.   There are some old timers around here that are still bitter about it.   It's nuts.  

Wow... my old church closed a few months ago and everything not transferred to Synods records got pulled out for display. If ya want it ya take.... except for confirmation pictures going back to 1940 where you ask for a copy. Had a final dinner and what was left was displayed and kept hearing “after the dinner it’s gone so if you even think you know someone....”. 

Our school doesn't even display the band's trophies, plaques, etc. Our group has been undefeated in class (Band, Percussion, and DM the past 4 years, and the past 3 for guard as well), as well as making Finals at our state championships 2 different years (with only 30 members in the entire band on the average).  Yet, there is still no true mentioning of the band. We do our best to promote through social media, tag/mention the school, district, admins, etc. in posts, yet still not much love for the band. Ultimately, the students still what they are supposed to do, and are learning in the process.

So this year the band director painted one wall of the band room the primary color of our school, and put up every concert festival plaque (including the 2 times we've been invited to state concert festival), and our Sweepstakes Award (Superior rating at a marching contest, concert festival, and state concert festival in the same year. Just between he and I we call it the, "**** You Wall." At least we feel like we're sending a message anytime someone walks into the band room, even if they are completely oblivious to it, it makes us feel better. Lol

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 6:37 AM, SFZFAN said:

What does this have to do with DCI World Class?

I think  it has alot to do with the disconnect between music programs and marching bands in particular in communities who see marching band as nothing more than adjunct of a bunch of kids playing a silly game, and their main job is to provide entertainment at half time.  How many times were you were called a nerd because you were actively involved in the high school music program?  Its just not that important and not cool in high school and things haven't really changed.

When was the last time you saw cuts in the football program to keep music programs alive in HIgh Schools?  From these programs come the MMs who march Dci and compete at levels that your typical high school football player will never understand or achieve!

Teach a kid to play football and he is finished at 18 years of age for 99% of the kids.  Put a horn in a kids hand at 12 and he's a musician for life!

Edited by Bucbari
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 4:58 AM, BigW said:

Just musing... what would happen if that would have happened to the Football trophies and awards in a building? People fired, Even more anger and scorn heaped on the people who thought that was a brilliant idea to get rid of history and heritage? Ooooo.... yet another example of that old double standard at work that caused me to love so many "competent" school administrators to death when I worked in the schools.:whistle:

i know several directors have actually expressed finding other ways to get awards for placement etc, because of the amount of space trophies take up, those on display as well as those in storage areas. 

On 11/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, tesmusic said:

About as much as 24 pages on BOA/Tarpon Spring, but that's DCP I guess.

well, what happens in BOA often shows up in DCI...

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i know several directors have actually expressed finding other ways to get awards for placement etc, because of the amount of space trophies take up, those on display as well as those in storage areas. 

I know- or limit what they are, etc. Maybe fewer trophies that are more unique, but I do know many years ago, there was a maxim at the beginning of the band competition era in the late 70's that 'everyone goes home with something'.  Late 70's McCormicks materials and newsletters were very emphatic about that. IIRC, it was one of the big, big selling points when what is USBands was founded as CMBC Maybe people need to think outside the box as to what that something is. Travelling trophies for one? Back to the old AL golden drum trophy for a bit contest? I'm open to anything. Some HS bands would think themselves very fortunate and blessed to have so much success that they fill up their trophy space. I guess that's also why I find this a bit sad.

That being said, just about every HS I go to has a really nice trophy area spanning up to 10 decades in some cases, at least back to the 60's. Then again most of those awards are major events, and rare to get. One looks at the band activity, and there's a pretty small group of successful groups that gather most of the big stuff, just my 2 cents.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, tesmusic said:

About as much as 24 pages on BOA/Tarpon Spring, but that's DCP I guess.

Because many of the DCI mm also have dual citizenship in the band world now a days.  And until June, there's not much going on in the DCI arena.

8 hours ago, BigW said:

I know- or limit what they are, etc. Maybe fewer trophies that are more unique, but I do know many years ago, there was a maxim at the beginning of the band competition era in the late 70's that 'everyone goes home with something'.  Late 70's McCormicks materials and newsletters were very emphatic about that. IIRC, it was one of the big, big selling points when what is USBands was founded as CMBC Maybe people need to think outside the box as to what that something is. Travelling trophies for one? Back to the old AL golden drum trophy for a bit contest? I'm open to anything. Some HS bands would think themselves very fortunate and blessed to have so much success that they fill up their trophy space. I guess that's also why I find this a bit sad.

That being said, just about every HS I go to has a really nice trophy area spanning up to 10 decades in some cases, at least back to the 60's. Then again most of those awards are major events, and rare to get. One looks at the band activity, and there's a pretty small group of successful groups that gather most of the big stuff, just my 2 cents.

one indoor host gave every group a gas gift card to help offset travel costs...same amount they would have paid for a trophy. it is a huge hit!!

• Like 1