George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

12 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Well a wire story tends to take things national. This has moved on the Associated Press:

https://www.apnews.com/c3fd98be262e4c25b38855d03dc7be5c

Sexual abuse of young women by older men in power is a hot topic now (Olympic Gymnastic team mess still being shook out) so expecting more.

Just now, Fred Windish said:

Very sad to hear it has come to this. Not so much for what George Hopkins might be facing, but for the drum corps activity in general. Yes, everything must take its proper course. Coincidentally, but not related to the drum corps issue, there's this.   Allentown Mayor (Ed Pawlowski) in place during all of YEA's occupation in Allentown reported last week to federal prison in Philadelphia to begin serving a 15 year sentence for illegal activities in office.

No chance these two subjects will meet somewhere over the prison dining hall table, is there? 

😬

I liked the scene in the Bryan Cranson movie, Trumbo, where Dalton Trumbo, serving 11 months for refusing to name names to Congress, finds himself in the same prison as J. Parnell Thomas, one of the Congressmen who had questioned him, who served 18 months for fraud.

(In real life, Thomas was not in the same prison as Trumbo, but he was in the same prison as other members of the "Hollywood 10" who refused to name names.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I liked the scene in the Bryan Cranson movie, Trumbo, where Dalton Trumbo, serving 11 months for refusing to name names to Congress, finds himself in the same prison as J. Parnell Thomas, one of the Congressmen who had questioned him, who served 18 months for fraud.

(In real life, Thomas was not in the same prison as Trumbo, but he was in the same prison as other members of the "Hollywood 10" who refused to name names.)

Fiction but a priceless moment in that movie. 

The arresting Detective  Andrew H Millen seems to have a lot of experience dealing with Sexual Assault cases.  https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-catasauqua-boy-scout-leader-alleged-sex-assault-charges-20170824-story.html

17 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Yes but you can't publish if your story details are not locked down. No publisher would push out an incomplete report.

No publisher would publish an incomplete report.

It depends on why the report is incomplete.  If it's because it's been low on the reporters' "to do" list, that can be accelerated.  Everyone else has hammered how drum corps is "nich".  So, I can imagine it hasn't been a first priority to finish the story.

If it's for other reasons, I guess it depends on what those reasons are.  People not coming forward?

11 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Very sad to hear it has come to this. Not so much for what George Hopkins might be facing, but for the drum corps activity in general. Yes, everything must take its proper course. Coincidentally, but not related to the drum corps issue, there's this.   Allentown Mayor (Ed Pawlowski) in place during all of YEA's occupation in Allentown reported last week to federal prison in Philadelphia to begin serving a 15 year sentence for illegal activities in office.

No chance these two subjects will meet somewhere over the prison dining hall table, is there? 

😬

The sad part in all of this is who else in DCI will take the fall with Hopkins.  There are probably several regulars that traveled on the Hopkins "party bus" and his inner circle who are sweating more this morning.

• Thanks 1

I feel at greater ease to enjoy the Cadets this last summer.  While there are a few shows I liked,   my biggest issue was GH- his attitude and arrogance,  some of his design choices (maybe they were not all his.....but with a narcissist like him- I can only imagine).  Interesting that this all came out- I work in mental health and AOD treatment;  very difficult to find a lot redeemable with sex offenders because they have a tendency to be arrogant and smug. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dans said:

I do wonder why DCI has not lifted the Cadets probation yet.

have they officially met as a full board? that may be the hold up

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

😬

sad it came to this yes, but it finally forced drum corps to wake up to these issues we've all discussed to death on here.  Sadly sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can get back to the top

• Like 5