George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

2 hours ago, garfield said:

If they, as a board, allowed this agreement to live for, according to the verbiage in the article, decades and never challenged, reviewed, or amended it, then they failed in their responsibility to protect financially the org on the departure of the Director.  I'd sue them personally for every nickel the corps has to pay Hop his settlement.  They made/allowed the rules, they themselves, personally should pay the damages.  That's what fiduciary means.

If this is the case and the BOD know this, I'm thinking some of them might be meeting with their legal/financial advisors about the best way to prevent this.  Bankruptcy anyone?

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sis just texted and in local Harrisburg online paper (pennlive) as GH has been a local for a while. Nasty tailed comments rolling in from people who have no idea what a dc is.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/11/former-drum-and-bugle-corps-director-with-midstate-tie-charged-with-sexually-assaulting-2-women.html

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Picture ain’t helping... can’t even quote sisters reaction and she know lot of Corps people

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I hate to say this... but the photo in that article smacks of being an "editorial photo."  Surely there had to be a different shot they could have used.

NOT defending Hop here, by any means... just the judgment used with this.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Hmm...  I'm no lawyer, but reading the Claims of the suit reveals that there was, in fact, an agreement for severance that very well could reach $580,000 based on their report of his salary.

And they detail in their claim that Hop delivered his resignation on April 5th and BoD agreed to accept it, and announced as such publicly on April 5th.

Edit: again, I'm no lawyer but, after reading all of the Claims in GH's suit, ALL of his claims (except possibly his retirement plan matching contributions) are dependent on his claim of

"...mutually agreeable cessation of employment".

Not a lawyer either, but I have a gut feeling that he may indeed be owed unused vacation time and that sort of stuff he theoretically "earned" while employed with YEA. The severance will be the the center of the lawsuit, IMO. I hope the old board did not place YEA at risk by "accepting" his resignation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I hate to say this... but the photo in that article smacks of being an "editorial photo."  Surely there had to be a different shot they could have used.

Just my opinion.

I have to agree.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Patriot (print version) was sold to a corporation few years back and down to 3 times a week. Only buy Sunday anymore and quality of print Patriot and online pennlive keeps slipping as BigW said earlier somewhere (other thread?). Not the same paper that outed Sandusky.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Patriot (print version) was sold to a corporation few years back and down to 3 times a week. Only buy Sunday anymore and quality of print Patriot and online pennlive keeps slipping as BigW said earlier somewhere (other thread?). Not the same paper that outed Sandusky.

On the upside, at least it’s not the photo with corps in the background. 

• Like 2

Curious what the contract states if he is convicted of a crime or does anything to hurt the reputation of the organization. Hard to tell without seeing contract, also curious how he had +/-$40,000 of expenses on his credit card.  Seems high for an employee to rack up such expenses and the exhibits aren’t attached.

In the meantime makes it difficult to donate to the organization while the lawsuit is unresolved.  Still unsure how they can employee his daughter to this day in the finance Dept.  

• Confused 1

Googling around and a closing line from a Tampa paper has to be a nightmare for any non-profit group...

".... last year he made $170,000 from the nonprofit".

Yes it's legal for nonprofit heads to be paid well but seeing this is not good for pr.