George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

2 hours ago, garfield said:

I'm sure there's a way to make directed donations that are, in fact, restricted (fuel fund, scholarships, etc).  The question is whether these assets (donations) are attachable as an asset to pay any settlement.  Some assets are not current assets or attachable.  Further, most likely, and upon checking in with some insurance folks I know, it's not likely that any form of insurance will cover a payout to settle Hop's case.  Insurance doesn't cover stupidity, and the prior Board may have only been stupid to accept the resignation knowing (or not knowing) that it would put a huge financial strain on the corps (which would be the basis for my fiduciary claim).

EDIT: I'm no attorney, but I'd make the case that "directed" assets are not assets usable by the organization to run its business, in other words for making obligations and settling debts; "scholarship" dollars are only usable for those, for example.  Unrestricted current assets (and future assets, i.e. donations) are surely available for the org to use in the "running of its business" and are, surely, "attachable" to settle debts.  Maybe it's a good thing I'm not an attorney.

EDIT 2: As another example, these allocations took place when there was no USBands, only Cadets.  Could assets and cash flow from USB or other YEA programs be attachable to settle claims that occured in the drum corps?

Maybe I’m remembering this wrong, but I’d gotten the impression from some posts last spring  that the old board was perceived by some as being more or less a rubber stamp body for GH. If there were any truth to this, it would certainly put that contract (and it’s associated severance package) and his subsequent resignation acceptance in a rather interesting light. 

• Like 1

Always two sides to the story... good for them

sent link to sister and her line was maybe GH will charge for all the publicity this is generating for the activity. Good or bad now more people have heard of DC. And he might be ..... enough to try it.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well that will definitely make things interesting 

14 hours ago, year1buick said:

Maybe I’m remembering this wrong, but I’d gotten the impression from some posts last spring  that the old board was perceived by some as being more or less a rubber stamp body for GH. If there were any truth to this, it would certainly put that contract (and it’s associated severance package) and his subsequent resignation acceptance in a rather interesting light. 

One of the problems with statement like this is it perceives the board as a static body.  Obviously this is not the case.  If you were aware of events the last 3 years leading up to the resignation, you will find that there was quite a bit of tension between GH and the board that was anything but rubber stamp in any respect other than staying out of creative decisions.  Unfortunately, the financial liability currently in question was created a long time ago, and by the time virtually all of the board members joined, it was already a big problem facing the organization.  I have the advantage of knowing the facts here rather than speculating.  Stay tuned...

17 hours ago, garfield said:

the prior Board may have only been stupid to accept the resignation knowing (or not knowing) that it would put a huge financial strain on the corps (which would be the basis for my fiduciary claim).

Do you have any idea what would have happened had the board refused the resignation?  Don't forget, there was a Cadets/C2 camp the next day, and the clean break was necessary for the corps to be able to move on.  The organization may not have survived, in which case what would have been the point of forcibly keeping GH on the books?