George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

good press could come from other sources. I find Tricia to be very personable, and actually cares that drum corps cleans itself up, and was quite impressed at the show she attended. my tailgating offer to her at DCI East is always open

Yes, good press could come from anywhere. The way she handled The Cadets by praising them, in the end, shows she cares and is fair. What do you think it would take for dci to get good press as The Cadets have. over their resolve? 

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Yes, good press could come from anywhere. The way she handled The Cadets by praising them, in the end, shows she cares and is fair. What do you think it would take for dci to get good press as The Cadets have. over their resolve? 

Talking to her would be a good start. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

To borrow a line from A Christmas Story... "Over the years, I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. "  :tongue:

Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. Though my personal preference was for Lux, I found that Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heavy, but with a touch of mellow smoothness. Lifebuoy, on the other hand..

• Haha 4

Focus, people. This thread is about Hop. I have been thinking about yesterday’s exchanges on this thread. A Reddit poster described it as someone coming here and “white knighting” for Hopkins.  I don’t know if that was the case, or if the person genuinely believed what she is saying vis a vis Hop finding his higher purpose so to speak. (I don’t want to go there again so leave it at that). It didn’t soften my bad thoughts about Hop’s alleged criminal activity. So I got to wondering if there’s something wrong with me that I’m not forgiving. Ultimately, I think I’ve settled on this:  his musings on fb (not to debate whether they should have been copied here) show no signs of personal remourse. Instead, it reads as an attempt to establish himself as a victim. Yep, that’s all the fashion in society today. I get it. The grievance society. But I’m not buying it. Let’s see how this thing plays out in the courts. For now, any attempt at shooting the messenger or victim blaming (the actual victims of the abuse) should be strongly challenged. Calling them a small group of angry Cadets alumni just out to get Hop would be an example. And if Hop has found his higher purpose, super. But That doesn’t makes the accusations go away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Focus, people. This thread is about Hop. I have been thinking about yesterday’s exchanges on this thread. A Reddit poster described it as someone coming here and “white knighting” for Hopkins.  I don’t know if that was the case, or if the person genuinely believed what she is saying vis a vis Hop finding his higher purpose so to speak. (I don’t want to go there again so leave it at that). It didn’t soften my bad thoughts about Hop’s alleged criminal activity. So I got to wondering if there’s something wrong with me that I’m not forgiving. Ultimately, I think I’ve settled on this:  his musings on fb (not to debate whether they should have been copied here) show no signs of personal remourse. Instead, it reads as an attempt to establish himself as a victim. Yep, that’s all the fashion in society today. I get it. The grievance society. But I’m not buying it. Let’s see how this thing plays out in the courts. For now, any attempt at shooting the messenger or victim blaming (the actual victims of the abuse) should be strongly challenged. Calling them a small group of angry Cadets alumni just out to get Hop would be an example. And if Hop has found his higher purpose, super. But That doesn’t makes the accusations go away. 

1j9khs.gif

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Talking to her would be a good start. 

Yes if dci is not afraid that there are more skeletons to dig up. We don't know the full picture from dci's perspective why they are treating the press this way? Dci needs to show their hand and be more transparent. Easy for us to say to treat her right to invite her to the meeting but dci is not there yet for some reason.

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

Yes if dci is not afraid that there are more skeletons to dig up. We don't know the full picture from dci's perspective why they are treating the press this way? Dci needs to show their hand and be more transparent. Easy for us to say to treat her right to invite her to the meeting but dci is not there yet for some reason.

YEA and The Cadets have been honest and forthright with Tricia.  They’ve spoken openly with her.  A great model for everyone to follow. 

I don’t think that hiding in the corner waiting for the meanie reporter to go away is how you get a flattering article written about your organization. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

So I got to wondering if there’s something wrong with me that I’m not forgiving

Call me whatever you want, but the way I personally see it......it's not my place to forgive him. I'm not one of the victims of his alleged conduct. 

If everything is true (I have my opinions but my opinion means precisely jack and ####) then he destroyed PEOPLE. They are the only ones who could truly forgive anything. 

A random person, no matter how good their intentions, shouldn't expect for anyone to forgive IMHO. 

WE as the drum corps community can only expect for the corps and DCI / DCA to make the needed changes to ensure that the activity protects all those involved. Forgiveness doesn't enter into it. Just my opinion.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Stupid auto-correct.....
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

YEA and The Cadets have been honest and forthright with Tricia.  They’ve spoken openly with her.  A great model for everyone to follow. 

I don’t think that hiding in the corner waiting for the meanie reporter to go away is how you get a flattering article written about your organization. 

Absolutely we beat each other over the head about every little word we write making sure there are no secret agendas in our posts. However, in the end, we all want the same thing. Dci is the elephant in the room, shrouded in secrecy. What conclusion is left to make? He's one that whatever is lurking in the past is so bad that the only way to fix it is to follow The Cadets lead and clean house. Thank You for posting that positive article on The Cadets it put the whole situation into perspective.  

39 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

And those skeletons will get you every single time. The best action is to be as proactive as possible, bring your findings to light and admit openly that there may be more that either hasn't been reported to them, or that they are working through other investigations and that each case will be openly addressed within the context of what the law allows. We all KNOW that there are other skeletons. I was talking to my girlfriend last night about some of the things that we used to do in the late 80's and early 90's in corps. Looking back on them now, if I had one of my managers that report to me broght some similar things to light....good LORD the hell I would reign down. And none of those are even CLOSE to some of the things we are hearing about now. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1