George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

In all fairness @Lancer79, you peeked back into the activity a year and a half ago after a long absence. And by your own admission much of your informational feedback seems to have come from George. There are people in these boards that have followed the evolution of the activity, including Cadets, YEA very much near the center of it closely and without absence. Your bothsideism and advocacy for George are coming from a place with significant gaps in time and important historical reference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wasn’t Cadets one of the corps asking for money to end the season every now and then?

They constantly asked for money. They’d take a day in spring training for the kids to reach out for donations 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

In all fairness @Lancer79, you peeked back into the activity a year and a half ago after a long absence. And by your own admission much of your informational feedback seems to have come from George. There are people in these boards that have followed the evolution of the activity, including Cadets, YEA very much near the center of it closely and without absence. Your bothsideism and advocacy for George are coming from a place with significant gaps in time and important historical reference. 

That is true. I have search out people and resources to catch up AND believe it or not, many have gone out of their way to inform me of what I missed! 

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Considering  the constantly perilous finances it was extreme 

The severance package was to get him out of sight, out of mind as quietly as possible. 

However, when a similar discussion came up a while back, perhaps in this thread, I looked up the salaries of superintendents of random mid sized school districts in Massachusetts. The exact salaries escape me now, but they were lower than GH’s salary. These school districts had more employees than YEA, more students involved, had more properties to manage and much higher budgets. Lancer79 contends his severance was based on budget and responsibilities, but he didn’t have comparable responsibilities. Managing a drum corps is specialized and a great deal of work, but it is not 24/7 twelve months a year. Also, if a school superintendent had nine accusations of sexual misconduct, they’d be in administrative leave without pay and only when cleared would severance be offered.

2 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The severance package was to get him out of sight, out of mind as quietly as possible. 

However, when a similar discussion came up a while back, perhaps in this thread, I looked up the salaries of superintendents of random mid sized school districts in Massachusetts. The exact salaries escape me now, but they were lower than GH’s salary. These school districts had more employees than YEA, more students involved, had more properties to manage and much higher budgets. Lancer79 contends his severance was based on budget and responsibilities, but he didn’t have comparable responsibilities. Managing a drum corps is specialized and a great deal of work, but it is not 24/7 twelve months a year. Also, if a school superintendent had nine accusations of sexual misconduct, they’d be in administrative leave without pay and only when cleared would severance be offered.

He had it in his contract which had expired and not been renewed when April hit. He basically wrote his contract and the rubber stamp board approved it. There was once a post talking about ways to increase revenues thru USBands and he specifically mentioned increasing his pension 

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yes. I think that talk (and I was part of it full disclosure) was more directed at Lancer as a logical conclusion- i.e. can one be forgiven if he has not admitted anything or asked for forgiveness?  I don’t think anyone expects GH to admit to anything, even if he ultimately is convicted. 

He genuinely believes he hasn't done anything wrong,(assuming conviction, and even then he won't believe he did) he's that out there... :sad:

26 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Well put! That being said, in PA, there are more than a few examples of a Superintendent being let go for, in at least one I'm familiar with, total and utter incompetence, and still getting their severance, though they were engaged in no criminal behaviors. My guess might be in court that the main issue may be as to whether GH had a morals clause in his contract. That could prove interesting.

Edited by BigW

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

They constantly asked for money. They’d take a day in spring training for the kids to reach out for donations 

Add to that the at least once a month E-mails pushing for it. It left me wondering if there was any real plan in place or real knowledge as to where they were with their budget at any time of the year. it was just crazy. It was like... suck money in and blow it out to stave off the creditors or pay the next immediate bill.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would like to have an expert in business look at Cadets resources and determine how much the severance affects corps ability to continue in the future. Also IIRC the $600K or so in back pay, etc didn’t come out until the suit began. Smells like pay back to me.

finally there have been other long term corps directors. What did they get when they left or what were they paid to begin with 

Good questions, though it appears the other DCI WC organizations are far, far more stable underfoot financially. I have no idea whether that's the truth... or whether it's because they're far less maniacal about asking for funds in a near constant manner. Come to think of it... Many corps have some significant fund raisers that really bring in a lot of funds year in and year out that help to alleviate issues. I'm unsure if the Cadets have really had one other than USBands in the GH era.

I forget the name of the form a non-profit organization files yearly about its assets et al, Jim. Jeff, Garfield, others know it like the backs of their hands and are also good at figuring out what's meaningful and not in the data presented. I think that's how people knew GH's salary information for years.

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Is this year any different sans Hop?