George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

IF the defendant is guilty of more than what has been charged of in this case (and again, I don't KNOW that GH is guilty of anything,) then wouldn't waiver of a prelim limit:

1.  Potentially damning evidence that could come from additional sources (i.e. survivors) 

Right. In this case, GH's lawyer has already said that they will definitely be going to trial. If the defense has already made that decision, there is no reason not to waive the prelim. If you think the prosecution's case is weak, then speed it up as much as you can before they can identify even more evidence.

11 hours ago, BigW said:

"We do not represent any opinions other than our own and represent no other organizations but ourselves. That being said, pass that bottle and let's see that first corps!"

Man... we could be the MST3K of drum corps commentary!!!  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mystery Science Theatre 3000...

for those not adept with TLA’s ...

(Three letter acronyms 😘)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

The civil suit is not about whether GH was terminated for cause, it's about which version of the Employment Agreement was effective when his employment was terminated

Well that’s part of it. The other is he claims he resigned but the board has no paperwork showing that.

19 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Man... we could be the MST3K of drum corps commentary!!!  :tongue:

( corps performs a wtf design thought)

Me: “ what the #### were they thinking?”

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have a feeling there will be some overlap

I doubt it, at least I hope not. The case is a criminal case of sexual assault against two women. Anything else just muddies the waters, IMO. We on social media tend to lump things together. I even saw posts on FB mixing the legal case with GH pushing for woodwinds in drum corps. The prosecution will hopefully be laser focused on the assaults and not allow the case to wander around. If a piece of financial information is pertinent to that case, then they'd bring it as part of the assault testimony/evidence, but that is about it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I doubt it, at least I hope not. The case is a criminal case of sexual assault against two women. Anything else just muddies the waters, IMO. We on social media tend to lump things together. I even saw posts on FB mixing the legal case with GH pushing for woodwinds in drum corps. The prosecution will hopefully be laser focused on the assaults and not allow the case to wander around. If a piece of financial information is pertinent to that case, then they'd bring it as part of the assault testimony/evidence, but that is about it.

Agree , separate case... money would only come into play if the accusers were suing for damages but believe this is state criminal charges only

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And I think this would sort of fall in line with some of the reasons for which someone would waive the prelim. I'm certainly not a lawyer (that would have saved a LOT of money in divorce cases though....stupid music degree /le sigh,) but it seems the stock and standard reasons for waiving it are easy enough to see. That being said, people far smarter than me could probably come up with 100 reasons why you would waive that right and have no guilt what so ever. 

IF the defendant is guilty of more than what has been charged of in this case (and again, I don't KNOW that GH is guilty of anything,) then wouldn't waiver of a prelim limit:

1. Potentially damning evidence that could come from additional sources (i.e. survivors) 

- and - 

2. Limit the amount of evidence that a sentencing judge would hear IF the individual plans to  plead guilty or no contest to? 

Again, I'm just asking questions here. I have learned to assume nothing in this world. 

Waiving the prelim does not impact the Discovery aspect. The prosecution must turn over to the defense all evidence and witnesses they are presenting to give the defense the opportunity to create a reasonable defense (if possible). 

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

In this case, GH's lawyer has already said that they will definitely be going to trial.

I would think that, generally speaking, this is exactly what a good defense lawyer would say even when (perhaps even more so when) he is willing to plead guilty to a reduced charge.  If he telegraphs desperation, the prosecution has less incentive to give anything up.  It's negotiation 101.

That said, I suspect it will go to trial because GH himself will not be willing to plead guilty to anything.

21 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I would think that, generally speaking, this is exactly what a good defense lawyer would say even when (perhaps even more so when) he is willing to plead guilty to a reduced charge.  If he telegraphs desperation, the prosecution has less incentive to give anything up.  It's negotiation 101.

That said, I suspect it will go to trial because GH himself will not be willing to plead guilty to anything.

Hopkins apparently has god complex - he will never find fault in himself. "She was interested" etc is what he probably believes

His post using his adult daughter as a "prop" is about as narcissistic as him suddenly "finding god"

It's all so classic god complex it isn't funny. 

God complex:

A god complex is an unshakable belief characterized by consistently inflated feelings of personal ability, privilege, or infallibility.

Narcissistic complex:

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder with a long-term pattern of abnormal behavior characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance, excessive need for admiration, and a lack of empathy.

JMO - as I'm not a doctor. Just seems very obvious - he will NOT admit any fault IMO

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1