George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

There is no maybe about it dci is taking upon themselves to do this is for their own bottom line. Why was it so easy for BD to open their private server to the public?

How many, concerts & music festivals where the original artists play their music start off with a statement distrusting their fans and they lie to them as dci does. " to protect the original artists your not allowed to take video clips" (of your own children). It's not the original artist they already came to terms with the internet and gave permission for the corps to play & stream. Show after show they lie to us and laugh all the way to the bank. Call me a fool, stupid or ignorant whatever you want but dci is turning out to be one big lie

What is DCI doing? DCI by my understanding is only responsible for getting licensing in order to sell the recordings. That s one type of license. The corps are responsible for getting licensing to perform and be able to place the vids on the corps site. 

And yes it's the licensing companies being hard noses on this. Some cases not the original artist. And yes if your kid is the one playing you might not be allowed to record. DCI is saying no but they are keeping from being hauled into court by the licensing companies.

Just got some new music.. good old Tressona(sp) on front page

6 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And I think this would sort of fall in line with some of the reasons for which someone would waive the prelim. I'm certainly not a lawyer (that would have saved a LOT of money in divorce cases though....stupid music degree /le sigh,) but it seems the stock and standard reasons for waiving it are easy enough to see. That being said, people far smarter than me could probably come up with 100 reasons why you would waive that right and have no guilt what so ever. 

IF the defendant is guilty of more than what has been charged of in this case (and again, I don't KNOW that GH is guilty of anything,) then wouldn't waiver of a prelim limit:

1. Potentially damning evidence that could come from additional sources (i.e. survivors) 

- and - 

2. Limit the amount of evidence that a sentencing judge would hear IF the individual plans to  plead guilty or no contest to? 

Again, I'm just asking questions here. I have learned to assume nothing in this world. 

Assumption is the Mother of All Foul-ups.  Or something like that

35 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And yes it's the licensing companies being hard noses on this

YT posts are post-licensing, dci takes it upon themselves to police the internet for their own profit. The original artists are not passing the buck to dci to watch their back. DCE does not do that, whatever the new org Jubal is in does not do that. Alumni shows do not need to worry about the original artists they are playing the same music as dci. 

Corps and band music at the Rose Fest does not have the original artists breathing down their backs to take the content off of YT. Disney is not taking down Corps and Bands that performed in their parks. 

The original artist excuse is a diversion no reason video clips of one's child playing in an NFL stadium can't be a valued keepsake. Why would the original artists care about that? Dci is about dci they don't care enough for their own marching members to do the right thing to keep the kids safe. No wonder they blame things on the original artists it's all about them. 

Edited by Bluzes
typo

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Agree , separate case... money would only come into play if the accusers were suing for damages but believe this is state criminal charges only

Still, that would be a torts case separate from the criminal case.   But, if it happens, it will be AFTER the criminal case is complete.  It will have a separate judge, jury, and rules of evidence - I believe the torts are settled on 'preponderance of the evidence' vs 'reasonable doubt' used in the criminal trial.  There is no way that the prosecutor wants the liability evidence mixed into the criminal trial - that is a recipe for a mistrial, perhaps leading to a dismissal with prejudice.

Example - OJ Simpson was acquitted in the criminal case, but afterward lost big-time in lawsuit brought by the Goldman family.  The only income stream left to him was his NFL pension.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more guardhouse lawyering
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

( corps performs a wtf design thought)

Me: “ what the #### were they thinking?”

Me: "this show would be better to watch in zaprudervision, it would blur up the drill so it would look clean."

"Did Ed Wood come up with this show concept?"

21 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

YT posts are post-licensing, dci takes it upon themselves to police the internet for their own profit. The original artists are not passing the buck to dci to watch their back. DCE does not do that, whatever the new org Jubal is in does not do that. Alumni shows do not need to worry about the original artists they are playing the same music as dci. 

Corps and band music at the Rose Fest does not have the original artists breathing down their backs to take the content off of YT. Disney is not taking down Corps and Bands that performed in their parks. 

The original artist excuse is a diversion no reason video clips of one's child playing in an NFL stadium can't be a valued keepsake. Why would the original artists care about that? Dci is about dci they don't care enough for their own marching members to do the right thing to keep the kids safe. No wonder they blame things on the original artists it's all about them. 

DCI and/or the corps police for their own protection against lawsuits. Again not the original composers but copyright owner (who may not be the composer) who can sue for infringement. If you don't like you can't have a recording of a family member talk to congress as DCI doesn't control that law. You're blaming the wrong group as DCA (doesn't sell recordings anymore) and MB have been hit too.

And yes alumni corps DO have to worry about copyrights.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

47 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

DCI and/or the corps police for their own protection against lawsuits.

Not true you are drinking dci's kool-ade. If that were the case all other drum corps, band, and alumni-related originations, show bands, the mummers would be forced to do that, they aren't forced and they don't police YT. It is a business decision on behalf of dci to keep the MMs paying for content that they paid for and were part of latter in life if they do decide to go there. How do you explain Calgary, for example, they get a license produce media performed at dci but they don't deny access to YT? No other youth-originations police the net. The NY Yankees are not all over Biilsport making sure the Little League does not affect their bottom line and the original artists aren't either. We have been misled for a long time dci is being exposed on all levels.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

7 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Not true you are drinking dci's kool-ade. If that were the case all other drum corps, band, and alumni-related originations, show bands, the mummers would be forced to do that, they aren't forced and they don't police YT. It is a business decision on behalf of dci to keep the MMs paying for content that they paid for and were part of latter in life if they do decide to go there. How do you explain Calgary, for example, they get a license produce media performed at dci but they don't deny access to YT? No other youth-originations police the net. The NY Yankees are not all over Biilsport making sure the Little League does not affect their bottom line and the original artists aren't either. We have been misled for a long time dci is being exposed on all levels.

Enough! Make your own topic.

Moderators please this has nothing to do with the topic!

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Fine... about 12 years back I worked with a mini corps manager who handled licensing for the corps for DCA weekend. Also talked with a long time DCA/DCI/ALUMNI arranger about why this didn't affect cortps bitd. Took a while to sink in, especially multiple types of license, but.... I did not argue with them when my preconceived ideas were blown up.

You are convinced DCI is responsible for it all. Guess that includes DCA no longer recording and that piece of music I got last night from an alumni corps marked Tressona...... I tried, it was a waste but I tried...

And done with the off topic

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Enough! Make your own topic.

I hear you Barneveld, no need for a thread about getting hosed by dci, I get the point it is not new news. Know we can focus on bashing George something that will sure help straighten out dci, something worthwhile.