George Hopkins Charged with two Counts Sexual Assault

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

199k a year...  talked about ###### up priorities...... Hope everyone who donates to a corps knows how much staff is being paid. 

$199k is not an absurd amount for a non-profit the size of YEA. Now there is an argument to be made that it was too much for GH because he was known to be a horrible CEO, but it isn't an absurd salary for that position by any stretch

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

$199k is not an absurd amount for a non-profit the size of YEA. Now there is an argument to be made that it was too much for GH because he was known to be a horrible CEO, but it isn't an absurd salary for that position by any stretch

It does seem to be a bit on the high side. It does depend on benefits, but I would say based on the annual budget, between $90,000 and $125,000 would be more reasonable. I am basing this on the salaries of local school superintendents. Often the salaries are based on the budget of the school system and the number of schools and employees. YEA does not have the number of employees, young people involved, or budget of a small to midsize school district in the Northeast, and where other successful corps have hired managers who are businesspeople with little to no musical background, a good managerial background is required rather than specialized skills. 

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

It does seem to be a bit on the high side. It does depend on benefits, but I would say based on the annual budget, between $90,000 and $125,000 would be more reasonable. I am basing this on the salaries of local school superintendents. Often the salaries are based on the budget of the school system and the number of schools and employees. YEA does not have the number of employees, young people involved, or budget of a small to midsize school district in the Northeast, and where other successful corps have hired managers who are businesspeople with little to no musical background, a good managerial background is required rather than specialized skills. 

I’m thinking he made way more than the executive director of  DCI. 

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Can YEA! sue Hopkins for damaging the organization's reputation?

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Being from a auto and IT background want to know if YEA ever got the car and laptop back

oh yeah. I'm pretty sure i know where they knew to find it

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

In my case, I find the 35 years more troubling that the $199k.  That’s just too long, IMO.  Given that kind of absolute power for that long.... He probably believed he was omnipotent. 

was it even YEA for all 35 years?

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Can YEA! sue Hopkins for damaging the organization's reputation?

You can try and sue for just about anything, but my guess would be no.  My thought, suing would keep the ghost of GH in the organization. It would probably be in YEA’s best interest not to sue and to cut ties with GH all together as if to say he is the past, this is the future. 

Edited by Tim K

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Somebody did a study once :tongue:

If I recall, it showed that Hop was, by far, the most highly-paid director.  I remember discussion at the time focused on the other profit-making entities (primarily USBs) and Hop's responsibilities in "running" them as businesses for justification of his higher pay.  Most directors that get paid make fractions of this, and many, very many, get paid little or nothing.

Didn't that also cover what he made judging for USBands as they 1099 all judges?

2 hours ago, dbc03 said:

So what is the amount of money YEA brings in every year roughly? Trying to find out the percentage that goes to the heads salary.

Shades of when United Way started putting percentage of operating income that went to administrative costs. Changed how people donated.

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Good Lord! Wall Street CEO's don't get golden parachutes like this!