2019 Tour Schedule!

On 11/16/2018 at 1:41 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

I find it very interesting that they [Blue Knights] cut their entire NorCal tour.

Its disappointing, but I can see it makes some sense.  They go from Denver to SoCal, then up California to the Pacific Northwest.  Eliminates their having to come west a week earlier, do the NorCal shows, head down to SoCal for those shows, then head north again to Oregon.  One week less travel time and fewer miles.

They did the full West tour last year.  I can only assume they feel they will benefit more from that first week being at home to work on their show.

Edited by Photographer Jim
added thought & typo

On 11/21/2018 at 10:00 PM, Terri Schehr said:

The northern Kentucky show is gone, too.

I spoke with someone over the weekend prior to Thanksgiving visiting Plymouth for the parade and the alumnincorps concert. The topic of Cranston, RI being cancelled came up in the conversation and the ramifications for the Bristol July 4th parade. He believes that DCI would prefer some shows to be every other year, especially the shows in smaller venues which makes sense, but where shows rely on repeat customers year after year, it could also be disastrous. He also speculated that the corps would prefer fewer shows in larger venues with more corps participating, believing the increased revenues of souvenir booths would make up for the loss in appearance fees. I could see this working for finalists, maybe Madison, Spirit, and Troopers, but I don’t know if most of the non finalists would make up for the loss of performance fees with  souvenir sales.  

• Like 2

Looks like a mid-west tour for us - Lisle, Whitewater, Minneapolis, Mankota, DesMoines, Dubuque and Dekalb.  Luckily Chicago area has excellent gourmet restaurants. 

Plus Allentown, of course!  We refuse to do indoor contests, so San Antonio and Indianapolis are out and have always been out.   

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:22 AM, Tad_MMA said:

I hope they move it. Last August's Massillon show was a major clusterf*ck. Traffic getting into the place; parking; standing in a LONG line (w/ tix in hand); crowding just inside stadium trying to navigate lines to seats (so much body heat). We got there with time to spare and still missed the opening, due to the usherettes blocking the way up.  It's a great tradition, but the people flow is deplorable. As football is even more popular, how do fans do it every other Friday night?

The football games don't have 2 large parking areas closed for drum corps trailers, they don't have access to the stadium closed on each end to allow the corps and equipment to have easy flow in and out, they don't have a market place for souvies and they do have full access to the visitor side and end zone seating.

The Massillon August show was something very special, but  it has simply been outgrown.  At least there is still a June show.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 2

Whitewater Classic on July 6 looks like an excellent show. Both The Academy and Santa Clara join the show in 2019.

It was good last year, my first visit to Whitewater. Maybe most memorable for the debut of Madison's surprising red, pink, and blue.

https://www.dci.org/events/2019-whitewater-classic

12 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

The football games don't have 2 large parking areas closed for drum corps trailers, they don't have access to the stadium closed on each end to allow the corps and equipment to have easy flow in and out, they don't have a market place for souvies and they do have full access to the visitor side and end zone seating.

The Massillon August show was something very special, but  it has simply been outgrown.  At least there is still a June show.

Didn't they move that to Dee-troit?

15 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I'm so glad I flew out to the Massillon show in 2016 to see SCV since they didn't make it to SoCal that year, and was the best drum corps show I ever attended. Not only watching SCV but seeing the soon to be champs Bluecoats at their home show. It was so electric. I do agree that the venue had been out outgrown. It was packed and traffic was bad getting out. Also took forever to get food, etc. Makes sense a show that popular had to move to a bigger venue with all the amenities and space for a big show. The other advantage will be the proximity to the freeways (I-77, I-76, etc). Also closer to Cleveland for out of town fans. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 10:10 PM, Photographer Jim said:

Its disappointing, but I can see it makes some sense.  They go from Denver to SoCal, then up California to the Pacific Northwest.  Eliminates their having to come west a week earlier, do the NorCal shows, head down to SoCal for those shows, then head north again to Oregon.  One week less travel time and fewer miles.

They did the full West tour last year.  I can only assume they feel they will benefit more from that first week being at home to work on their show.

Yeah..it's cut expenses. They have been known for not having a complete show early on. But this is the first time in years they have started this late if at all. The problem is there is only 2 major shows in N. Cal these days...Stanford and Sacramento (formally Stockton). That's it. And Clovis is not in Nor. Cal.