Wes Hobby Passes

Saw on FB the news that legendary drum corps PA announcer Wes Hobby has passed away.

IMO, he was, and will remain, the all-time greatest. No one quite like him, before or since.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/stamfordadvocate/obituary.aspx?n=milton-hobby&pid=190750993&fhid=3958&fbclid=IwAR1aSoTvUVR7t85clygDWHwpFe3rUXX9NLqPhTUva2pbALoEZNS4WwQu_HE

• Like 3

RIP Wes Hobby":

Fran has pretty well said it all.  Wes Hobby set the bar for all the drum corps announcers that came after him 

We are very much diminished by his passing.

RIP

Elphaba       😢

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, elphaba01 said:

RIP Wes Hobby":

Fran has pretty well said it all.  Wes Hobby set the bar for all the drum corps announcers that came after him 

We are very much diminished by his passing.

RIP

Elphaba       😢

My last year marching DCA was 1982... Wes was the announcer for the championship that year, in Allentown.

It was so cool to end my drum corps competition career by hearing Wes Hobby announce us as the DCA champs!!!  :thumbup:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

Sad news.  I first discovered Wes Hobby’s voice listening to LP drum corps albums in 1965. Had never met him, but he seemed to be a part of all the major event recordings. I needed to have him! Years later, I had the good fortune to hire Wes to announce our Allentown event. I remember my initial telephone call to his home. I knew right away that was Wes on the other end of the line!  It was surreal for me. 

Cool thing about Wes, he could also speak French. Came in handy with Les Diplomats and other Canadian corps who made the trip to Allentown. We had a good time during those earlier days.  May he Rest In Peace.

• Like 4

Wes was the Dean of Drum Corps Announcers.

Standing on the starting line as he gave your corps' introduction was an uplifting experience. At that moment,  he made you believe you were the most important people on the planet. You were what was happening. The confidence boost was palpable.

It takes a special individual to achieve that. Wes Hobby was a Drum Corps giant.

• Like 5