Phantom 1989

I've listened to the show many times and the thing that intrigues me most, and I don't want to get into a 'they should have beaten Vanguard' debate, is towards the end of the show. You can clearly hear someone shout 'Judges are you watching'. Does anyone know a back story or is it just a random supporter shouting?

Come on Mike and Northern Thunder, you didn't hear that?  Sorry guys find that hard to believe, its pretty clear!

For  the OP I've heard the story that it was a staff member who shouted that and I will state that PR should have won that night!!

19 hours ago, Bucbari said:

Come on Mike and Northern Thunder, you didn't hear that?  Sorry guys find that hard to believe, its pretty clear!

For  the OP I've heard the story that it was a staff member who shouted that and I will state that PR should have won that night!!

I haven't listened to that show in about 10 years.

21 hours ago, Bucbari said:

Do you remember where in the show it is?  I'll go back and take a listen.

Mike

On 11/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, MikeN said:

Do you remember where in the show it is?  I'll go back and take a listen.

Mike

Yeah Mike right at the end before the final hit to end the show

I have to agree that Phantom Regiment should maybe have edged out SCV on Finals night in '89. SCV drill was a bit ragged in spots on Finals NIght ( look at the OTL, 1st 30 seconds of show for example. Some spacing, drifting issues quite evident there, imo ). Phantom Regiment seemed cleaner on Finals Night to me. That said, not to quibble,  flip a coin, as both had terrific shows. '89 was a great season, imo, as several Corps up and down the line up that '89 season had very entertaining shows.

Edited by BRASSO

To me, this show was even and yes, it could have gone either way, that said, what makes this an easy choice on who should have won, comes down to one caption. Percussion. SCV top to bottom had a superior section in terms of the arrangement and execution. The writing was more musical, worked beautifully with the brass arrangement. Phantom Regiment's battery was not as clean as SCV that night and their arrangement was becoming dated, compared to what SCV was doing. Also look at the percussion score in the captions. SCV scored 14.9 out of 15 and Phantom Regiment scored 14.4 placing 5th. 

(Side Note) *Cadets started this trend in 87 with Hannum, writing the book to weave within the brass arrangement oppose to how BD and others in the past would approach the writing, which was more of a glorified rhythm section to complement the brass arrangement. Since Cadets took percussion in 87 (perfect score), look at who won drum trophies after that (SCV, Cadets, Star, Cavies, SCV, Cavies, Star), not BD until 1994, where their book was more modern in their arrangement than the past. What happen in 1987, whether the percussion judge sheets changed or that a trend manifested itself had an effect on 1989, maybe a stretch, just my theory.*

• Like 1