Wes Hobby Passes Away At Age 90

Milton “Wes” Hobby Jr., known widely as the voice of drum corps for more than 40 years, passed away at the age of 90 on November 14, 2018 at Bridgeport Hospital in Connecticut. He was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in 2010 for lifetime achievement in drum and bugle corps activity. […]

View the full article

• Like 1

Like I said on my FB page... IMO, the best drum corps PA announcer ever.

I know a lot of people here on the DCI forums never had the opportunity to hear his work... I wish you had.  He was pure magic behind the microphone.

Among his many gigs, relevant to this forum (he did a lot of work on the DCA/all-age side of the activity) ... he was the PA announcer for the early years of DCI East in Allentown, and also was the longtime voice of the World Open show in Massachusetts.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Like I said on my FB page... IMO, the best drum corps PA announcer ever.

I know a lot of people here on the DCI forums never had the opportunity to hear his work... I wish you had.  He was pure magic behind the microphone.

Among his many gigs, relevant to this forum (he did a lot of work on the DCA/all-age side of the activity) ... he was the PA announcer for the early years of DCI East in Allentown, and also was the longtime voice of the World Open show in Massachusetts.

Fran
I'm sorry about Wes' passing. Do you know if he ever taught high school drama in Stamford, CT, specifically Westhill HS? I think my wife and I did a show with him in Westport in the early 90s but just not positive it's him or not.

39 minutes ago, Rufus67 said:

Fran
I'm sorry about Wes' passing. Do you know if he ever taught high school drama in Stamford, CT, specifically Westhill HS? I think my wife and I did a show with him in Westport in the early 90s but just not positive it's him or not.

According to his obit, he did!!!

I also remember someone telling me back in the 1990s that Wes had gotten more involved with the drama education and theater stuff... one reason he had cut back on announcing drum corps shows.

That is wild and a small world then. When I went to Stamford HS I entered a Shakespeare monologue contest and went up against three of his kids from Westhill (and they kicked my butt). In the time I knew him I wasn't even aware he was into drum corps. How crazy is that!?!?