Corps that have marched in the thanksgiving parade

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, Dorchester, Ma. marched in the 1961 Macy's Parade in NYC.  They were an outstanding Drum & Bugle Corps in this time frame too. This is a picture of them in that year's Macy's Parade.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, crowd and outdoor

And one of the best-looking uniforms in the history of drum corps!!!  Always sharp.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And for a while the tape delay of the Honolulu parade hosted by Jack (Hawaii 5-0) Lord who always  introduced things sitting in a white horse for some reason. Always a joke at our house about “did JL come out on his horse yet”.

Toronto was Eaton Store parade and someone showed pieces of Detroit (Hudson store parade?) for a few years.

oh yeah 60s had Capt Kangaroo before the parades and he always closed the show with old parade clips with a old song about big clown balloons... wow that just popped in my brain

Definitely remember that!!!  The horse, and the straw-type hat. On Jack, not the horse.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

All the years I lived in the NYC area, I never went to the parade there, for whatever reasons. Some years I was working that day.

My radio days in NJ, I would actually volunteer to work on Thanksgiving, doing morning news.  A couple of stations where I worked, we would get a comp day for working a major holiday... and the holiday-day schedule was always shorter, and lighter. 

So I'd work 4-5 morning hours, get a full day off down the line, and still make it home in time for Thanksgiving dinner.  :tongue:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

My radio days in NJ, I would actually volunteer to work on Thanksgiving, doing morning news.  A couple of stations where I worked, we would get a comp day for working a major holiday... and the holiday-day schedule was always shorter, and lighter. 

So I'd work 4-5 morning hours, get a full day off down the line, and still make it home in time for Thanksgiving dinner.  :tongue:

Couple of years when I first started working did rotating shifts in the base computer building. Grew up in the area so family nearby and was flexible in when they had holiday dinners. Made work friends and extra money by working holidays so some folks could go to distant families. If I worked 4pm-midnight we ate around 2. If 8am-4pm ate when I got off. If worked midnight-8am I ate in my sleep lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRacer said:

My son tells me that RCC/“a number of DC all stars” is the 7th band on; their uniforms are like 2016 BD except in orange and black with white “tiger claw” stripes over the orange. He said, “Bring on the cold!” :xmas:

They did a great job!

Sometime back in the sixties, the Muchachos and the Caballeros led the Macy’s parade. There were others corps in the parade that year also.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:02 AM, Fran Haring said:

All the years I lived in the NYC area, I never went to the parade there, for whatever reasons. Some years I was working that day.

But some of us went to the Philly parade a couple of times, early 1980s. Saw the Crossmen there.

You're right, it's a great parade... and I'm sure it's gotten even bigger and better since I went.  A "Todd production" always has a lot going on.  LOL.

for the 3 years I helped with the Tournament of Bands All Star Band, now in it's 10th year in Philly, it was an amazing production. of course the first three years, our tune was " holidays come to the art museum"....which of course had the Rocky fanfare interspersed. Needless to say we got a great reaction everywhere along the route. While paused for TV, a cop walked up to us and said " Rocky and Christmas music? You guys are Gods here!"

(then I left and they changed the tune.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, regimental1 said:

Sometime back in the sixties, the Muchachos and the Caballeros led the Macy’s parade. There were others corps in the parade that year also.

"Macy's Part Deux":

The 1950's had a slug of corps marching for Macy's also.  They included Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, St Vincents Cadets, Holy Name/Garfield Cadets,  Audubon Bon Bons, New York  Skyliners, Hawthorne Caballeros, and Reilly Raiders.

Elphaba      :flower:

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, MikeD said:

They did a great job!

Yeah... not bad for less than 40 hours of rehearsal time one day a week sandwiched smack in the middle of  Field Season, eh? And the kids did not enjoy -5 wind chill involved. I think it was the first time many of them actually saw icicles form on the ends of brass bells. 😄

To piggyback on someone else's post (and to clarify the link to DCI).. RCCMT had performing members from the following 2018 Corps: 

Watchmen, Vessel, Gold, SC Vanguard Cadets (the SCVC DM was *not* a member this year, but one of the RCC DMs is a SCVC Alum), Pacific Crest, The Academy, Mandarins, Blue Stars, Oregon Crusaders, Blue Knights, Bluecoats and Blue Devils A. 

[/back to lurktown]

Edited by LeftCoastCupcake
Forgot a corps. ;)
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...