Corps that have marched in the thanksgiving parade

Crossmen did the Philly parade a few times, and having participated in that event 2009-2011, it truly is a huge spectacle that deserves more national attention. The event is run by Under The Sun productions, which is owned by Todd Marcocci, he of many drum corps on his resume as well as the founder of the legendary Field of View WGI Guard that recently came back into existence. I'm sure other local corps have participated in that over the years

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

I wrote in my Drum Corps World about one of the 1960s Macy's parades, hosted on NBC by Lorne Greene and Betty White.

(Looks like Lorne and Betty hosted 1962-1970, so it would have been within that time frame.)

Lorne made a rather derogatory comment about drum and bugle corps in general, and the NBC phone lines were immediately lit up by irate viewers.

In those days calls were actually answered, and the message was sent out to the TV hosts that viewers didn't appreciate Lorne's comment.

Wouldn't you know it, within a few minutes a drum & bugle corps came into view, and Greene sheepishly said, "Well, here's one of the GOOD drum & bugle corps....."

Hey Lorne, Mr Greenjeans and the Skyliners wanna talk to ya.....

St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, Dorchester, Ma. marched in the 1961 Macy's Parade in NYC.  They were an outstanding Drum & Bugle Corps in this time frame too. This is a picture of them in that year's Macy's Parade.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, crowd and outdoor

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Another Drum Corps that marched in the 1961 Macy's Thanksgiving Parade were the Garfield Cadets, Garfield, N.J.   They are " The Cadets "  of Allentown, PA. today. In 1961, they were an All Male Drum & Bugle Corps. They also were an outstanding Corps in this time frame as well.

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd and outdoor

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Video Clip of the 1991 Drum Corps All Star Drum & Bugle Corps that was put together quickly just a few weeks before this Macy's Parade for this Thanksgiving Parade there in NYC. .. followed by a brief clip of the Crossmen, marching in Philly's Thanksgiving Parade, I believe. ( apologize for the crappy audio sound reproduction of this, but that was the technology back then. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

My son tells me that RCC/“a number of DC all stars” is the 7th band on; their uniforms are like 2016 BD except in orange and black with white “tiger claw” stripes over the orange. He said, “Bring on the cold!” :xmas:

Madison Scouts Alumni Corps marched Macy's Parade in NYC in 2014. Here they play " You'll Never Walk Alone "  indoors in NYC before heading home after the Parade. . Nice job on it too, I think.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

I wrote in my Drum Corps World about one of the 1960s Macy's parades, hosted on NBC by Lorne Greene and Betty White.

(Looks like Lorne and Betty hosted 1962-1970, so it would have been within that time frame.)

Lorne made a rather derogatory comment about drum and bugle corps in general, and the NBC phone lines were immediately lit up by irate viewers.

In those days calls were actually answered, and the message was sent out to the TV hosts that viewers didn't appreciate Lorne's comment.

Wouldn't you know it, within a few minutes a drum & bugle corps came into view, and Greene sheepishly said, "Well, here's one of the GOOD drum & bugle corps....."

I just had a bad Alpo commercial flashback....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Crossmen did the Philly parade a few times, and having participated in that event 2009-2011, it truly is a huge spectacle that deserves more national attention. The event is run by Under The Sun productions, which is owned by Todd Marcocci, he of many drum corps on his resume as well as the founder of the legendary Field of View WGI Guard that recently came back into existence. I'm sure other local corps have participated in that over the years

All the years I lived in the NYC area, I never went to the parade there, for whatever reasons. Some years I was working that day.

But some of us went to the Philly parade a couple of times, early 1980s. Saw the Crossmen there.

You're right, it's a great parade... and I'm sure it's gotten even bigger and better since I went.  A "Todd production" always has a lot going on.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1