Corps that have marched in the thanksgiving parade

21 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

Up until the mid-1970s you could always count on seeing a half-dozen corps in Macy's, three or four in the Philadelphia Gimbel's parade 

and another four or five in the Toronto Santa parade.  CBS was the only network that showed excerpts from all three parades.

And for a while the tape delay of the Honolulu parade hosted by Jack (Hawaii 5-0) Lord who always  introduced things sitting in a white horse for some reason. Always a joke at our house about “did JL come out on his horse yet”.

Toronto was Eaton Store parade and someone showed pieces of Detroit (Hudson store parade?) for a few years.

oh yeah 60s had Capt Kangaroo before the parades and he always closed the show with old parade clips with a old song about big clown balloons... wow that just popped in my brain

Edited by JimF-LowBari

13 hours ago, Ghost said:

Pride of Drum Corps All- Stars.   91

Summer Music Games All-Stars. 94

Cadets. 05

Madison 14

There was an AllStar Macy's corps in 1992 as well. I am forever looking on the web for a recording of it.   I marched in the 94 Macy corps 🙂 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

It’s amazing what a good nights sleep 😴 will do for a seniors memory.

More like not so good night sleep with dog wanting out lol. Amazing what pops in when you’re groggy. Now I that #### song in my head lol

I remember my father asking me a few times "Sohn, was ist das korps?" for every single marching unit that he saw on TV. Eventually I just started proactively telling him "Before you ask dad...that's not a corps." My mother ALWAYS (even to this day,) watches the Macy's Day Parade and declares it officially Christmas when Santa shows up. 

12 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Macy's - Hawthorne Caballeros multiple times. NY Skyliners, too, I think.

"Macy's Parade":

Racine Scouts, NY Knickerbockers,  Hawthorne Muchachos, an St Kevins Emerald Knights all have been in th Macy line of march.

Elphaba       :flower:

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thought I read about Hamms but couldn’t remember thanks.

the old dncna (na is North America ) site has US Air Force Bolling Field Washington DC at Pasadena in 1956. 

Rhode Island Matadors around 1978 at Macys

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

oh yeah 60s had Capt Kangaroo before the parades and he always closed the show with old parade clips with a old song about big clown balloons... wow that just popped in my brain

Speaking of Captain Kangaroo....do you remember the photo of Mr. Green Jeans (circa mid-1970s that appeared in Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World) holding a "newfangled" 2-piston bugle??  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

Speaking of Captain Kangaroo....do you remember the photo of Mr. Green Jeans (circa mid-1970s that appeared in Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World) holding a "newfangled" 2-piston bugle??  

He joined the Skyliners if I remember right. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wrote in my Drum Corps World about one of the 1960s Macy's parades, hosted on NBC by Lorne Greene and Betty White.

(Looks like Lorne and Betty hosted 1962-1970, so it would have been within that time frame.)

Lorne made a rather derogatory comment about drum and bugle corps in general, and the NBC phone lines were immediately lit up by irate viewers.

In those days calls were actually answered, and the message was sent out to the TV hosts that viewers didn't appreciate Lorne's comment.

Wouldn't you know it, within a few minutes a drum & bugle corps came into view, and Greene sheepishly said, "Well, here's one of the GOOD drum & bugle corps....."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1