Drum Corps In The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Every year, millions of people watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, either in person in New York City, on TV, or, in a thoroughly modern way, on the Internet. Some watch for the Broadway performances prior to the start of the parade at Macy’s. Others watch for the balloons and floats. Some of you may even watch for the pop stars who “sing” when they reach Macy’s (really, does anybody watch for lip syncing?). I, and many of my friends, however, watch for the only guaranteed LIVE performances at the parade – the marching bands and, in some years, the drum and bugle corps invited to march the parade each year.

http://www.gaminnet.info/?p=4428

• Like 1

Ditto Kevin  - exactly how many people feel!  I don't know if it was the cold today but the bands performance in front of Macy's was terribly accelerated and brief.  Almost felt sorry for them all that fundraising for a 30 sec spot at best on national TV, while the lip syncing (X#@&) went on forever as usual.  Always totally misplaced values IMO.  

John Legend's response from Twitter:

Fun fact. We all have to lip sync on this parade because the floats don't have the capacity to handle the sound requirements for a live performance. Hope y'all enjoyed it anyway. Know that if you come to my shows, the vocals are 100% live! 

11 hours ago, DCVNVET said:

Ditto Kevin  - exactly how many people feel!  I don't know if it was the cold today but the bands performance in front of Macy's was terribly accelerated and brief.  Almost felt sorry for them all that fundraising for a 30 sec spot at best on national TV, while the lip syncing (X#@&) went on forever as usual.  Always totally misplaced values IMO.  

lip syncing acts pay the bills to televise. high school and college marching bands don't.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DCVNVET said:

Was that NBC with their feed right in front of the reviewing stand? Quit watching them cuz always a shill for the Broadway shows and recording acts.

Exactly Jim - I thought I was watching the Band of the Brigade of Gurkha's who march at 140 steps per min.  I only hung around for two bands.  Too bad because they sounded solid.  Check out the "Gurkha 200" on You Tube  you will get the picture. 

Edited by DCVNVET
SP

22 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was that NBC with their feed right in front of the reviewing stand? Quit watching them cuz always a shill for the Broadway shows and recording acts.

it is, but you actually get to see bands on NBC.

32 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it is, but you actually get to see bands on NBC.

Marching the route or doing a routine in front of reviewing stand? Rather watch them doing parade marching.

lol my entertainment yesterday was watching my Bichon trying to make friends with a cat at my sisters place. Cat was bigger and not in a good mood(Grumpy Cat looks happy by comparison). And something about the old horse barn that dog wanted to see

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Marching the route or doing a routine in front of reviewing stand? Rather watch them doing parade marching.

lol my entertainment yesterday was watching my Bichon trying to make friends with a cat at my sisters place. Cat was bigger and not in a good mood(Grumpy Cat looks happy by comparison). And something about the old horse barn that dog wanted to see

the routine, but you see them. i gave up on the CBS feed years ago because you saw maybe 1/3 of the bands in the parade....and then talking heads talked over them. 

• Like 1