Plastic Horns?

So far.... not a corps thing but happened to see plastic trombones for sale locally. Sister says ton of eBay entries for plastic horns but never heard one. 

With costs of trying to establish a new corps past the “oh forget it” stage.... any idea if these are worth a bleep for a start up corps or any other group?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I played one at Finals a few years ago. It was OK -- not great, but not a toy either.

• Thanks 1

What struck me was the price at the local music store was less than my parents paid for a name brand trombone *gag* 50 years ago. And that’s not adjusting for inflation... it was $150 in mid 60s dollars. Next year went up 7 or 9 bucks.... 

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So far.... not a corps thing but happened to see plastic trombones for sale locally. Sister says ton of eBay entries for plastic horns but never heard one. 

With costs of trying to establish a new corps past the “oh forget it” stage.... any idea if these are worth a bleep for a start up corps or any other group?

I came across a video awhile back of Alison Balsom playing a p-trumpet....the whole thing is plastic...she got a really great sound from it!  Talk about about light weight!

Think the store had a brass plated plastic trombone for “purists” lol. When I tried to look at the tag my knuckle rapped against it and hardly any weight at all. And didn’t sound like a metal horn when you tap it.

lol thinking of corps using different colors for effect in telling the story...

Edited by JimF-LowBari