Plastic Horns?

In the Renaissance, there was a kind of "brass" instrument called the cornett. that was actually wood bound in leather. Modern reproductions are often made from fiberglass. The bass version evolved into the serpent, which survived into the early 19th century.

Played well, a cornett produces an absolutely beautiful sound.

Also, the Alpenhorn. Complete with wooden mouthpiece. Fellow at Tubachristmas in Hanover, PA brought a really nice wooden tuba mouthpiece he fabricated. Got some solid input on some dimensions that needed adjusted to help clarity and flexibility etc., but it was very well received by the people who tried it.

One big issue with the Alpenhorn is that it has no resistance. Played an Alto one once and nearly passed out. Blows straight through...

Plastic Bones in your face!  You be the judge.  At any rate these guys and gals know how to entertain and have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CHdDLt7sSg

• Like 2

On 11/23/2018 at 7:55 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Think the store had a brass plated plastic trombone for “purists” lol. When I tried to look at the tag my knuckle rapped against it and hardly any weight at all. And didn’t sound like a metal horn when you tap it.

lol thinking of corps using different colors for effect in telling the story...

Like when we used to wrap our crappy green Ludwig Vistalite drums in that amazing 1980's chrome contact paper. Still sounded like you were drumming on a wet turd, but it looked NICCCCEEEE!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DCVNVET said:

Plastic Bones in your face!  You be the judge.  At any rate these guys and gals know how to entertain and have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CHdDLt7sSg

Mixed in with enough other actual brass horns and in enough numbers, they seemed to work. well enough- as for projection, they're worried about hitting someone with a slide, they're that close to the crowd. Prolly why they use them. I'd prolly collapse the slide or at best, knock it out of alignment with my Urbie Green if I hit someone.

Glad you liked the Outriders they are all alumni of the Calgary Stampede Show Band who have performed in Indy.  Neglected to mention they were all brass except for the 3 trombones, thought that might slide through here. lol  Also "Walking on Sunshine" might be a cure for the weather blues headed your way.

44 minutes ago, DCVNVET said:

they were all brass except for the 3 trombones, thought that might slide through here. 

No it didn’t slide here.  Since when are trombones not brass instruments even if made of plastic?  Maybe one day you can refer to a corps as having a good plastic line.

Edited by Ghost

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

No it didn’t slide here.  Since when are trombones not brass instruments even if made of plastic?  Maybe one day you can refer to a corps as having a good plastic line.

I think he meant "made/constructed of brass rather than insinuating they weren't "instruments of the brass family".  :satisfied:

Wow... if one wants to really delve into the discussion...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerophone

There's a whole kind of gap regarding a Brass Instrument in that whole classification category in that it really doesn't matter what material the instrument is made of as long as you have the tube and one buzzes the lips to produce the sound. It's still a Labrosone or just a Brass Instrument.

• Like 1

My daughter has a pBone - she likes it well enough.  Won't replace her main horn, but it's definitely easy to carry around.  I also have 3 pTrumpets in my garage that we use for folks in my mini-band who don't yet have trumpets.  The plastic horns are ok, but they definitely have a different sound - not quite as rich as regular horns, but in a pinch you can't beat the cost or the weight.

Mike

Correct BW + was trying to stay on the light side with commentary.  I know my place in the pecking order:exclamation: