Plastic Horns?

That young woman could get a good sound out of a #5 soup can.

Plastic horns are ok when your 5 year-old thinks she wants to play trumpet and you're not sure she will actually stick with it, but they are probably a non-starter in drum corps.

Then again, if you are starting a corps for 5 year-olds, they may be worth considering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought of the not sure if the kids wants to stick with it reason too. Then again reason I was in that music store might be something I might not stick with either. Oh the idea of trying something new later in life lol.

My school district worked with a large music store on a rent to own basis for instruments. Not only good for the not sure kids but also good for people like my buddy Scott who 6 months into fighting with a trumpet mouthpiece switched to baritone. The bucks his folks shelled out were applied to the bari.

The P-Horns, I think Some of the previous posts are pretty fair about, Jim. I fooled with a P-Bone where I get my horns worked on, and if you can't get a solid used horn cheap… I think they're a decent make-do as a starter instrument for someone wanting to learn and get the basics down. Cheaper than say.... one of those horns made of Chinesium one can find out there for not a lot of money but are kind of a mixed bag.

I need to figure out if I want a Fiscorn, actually. Basically a kind of crazy rotor valved C Bass Flugelhorn that I've seen for sale at semi-reasonable prices. Thinking it might work for church gigs since you don't have to transpose and from listening to videos, they sound decent, well, I think I can get one to sound pretty decent. 

Thinking this thing might be a viable weapon for DCA I and E rather than my Euphonium…. and a LOT cheaper than a Cimbasso.

• Like 1

A left-handed Flugabari in C, with a sweet tone.

Concert French Hornists might take to those rotors rather easily.

Me, I'd need to have some synapses rewired, I fear.

(I wonder how a plastic one would sound.) No doubt, somewhere in Japan, someone is working on an entirely 3-D printed horn choir.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MikeD said:

I do not think "vuvuzela" is a permiied word in this era.   :santa:  

You'll have to ban yourself. :)

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ironlips said:

Then again, if you are starting a corps for 5 year-olds, they may be worth considering.

And your Open Class champion....Blue Devils D!

• Haha 2

Way back when I was in high school, and we were playing on Conn and King sousaphones, we used to sarcastically say of other bands we saw with fiberglass models, "If it's made by Mattel, it sure sounds swell."

Then my college band had plastic.

• Like 1