You know you’re an old phart when...

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

In the 90s, the Blue Devils were actually Ye Olde Blue Devils.

Fact.

"Feeling Olde":

Remember the first year Ralph Silverbrand fronted Hawthorne:  1957.    😀

Remember being taught by Mr Joe Genero  (1962/64) and Mr Hy Drietzer (1965-66) on horns.         😎

I am definitly "Olde".        😪

Elphaba     :flower:

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 5:23 PM, elphaba01 said:

"Feeling Olde":

Remember the first year Ralph Silverbrand fronted Hawthorne:  1957.    😀

The year before I was born.

Now I don't feel so bad.  :tongue:

• Haha 1

The day I walked into a classroom to teach 7th graders, at the age of 23, I learned I was an “Old Phart.” Now when I run into former students from my early years of teaching who are in their 40’s, they tell me how much fun it was to have had a “young teacher.”

Because I work with people of all ages, I am aware of being a dinosaur to some and young whipper snapper to others. I’m in my 50’s so I’m neither, but it depends on perspective, but those who are into photography may relate to this experience. The days of film were magical for landscapes, flowers, architecture, and still life. The days of film were not so great for drum corps if you were shooting from the stands. Knowing how hard it could be to get good shots makes me admire Moe Knox’s work all the more. Today with high speeds, continuous shots, and Photoshop, it’s much easier. Two summers ago, I was in Allentown and a girl,  probably about 15 got a new camera. She was testing her skills and her mother noticed I had a Nikon camera and wondered if I would mind answering a question her daughter had about using her camera. The mother and I spoke and I shared how years ago, I was lucky if more than a few good photos came from a roll of film. The girl did have an understanding of film, but was amazed film was still used in this century. DSLR’s  became more affordable about 2005 or so, I think I made the switch in 2006, but she would have been a toddler.

51 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The day I walked into a classroom to teach 7th graders, at the age of 23, I learned I was an “Old Phart.” Now when I run into former students from my early years of teaching who are in their 40’s, they tell me how much fun it was to have had a “young teacher.”

Because I work with people of all ages, I am aware of being a dinosaur to some and young whipper snapper to others. I’m in my 50’s so I’m neither, but it depends on perspective, but those who are into photography may relate to this experience. The days of film were magical for landscapes, flowers, architecture, and still life. The days of film were not so great for drum corps if you were shooting from the stands. Knowing how hard it could be to get good shots makes me admire Moe Knox’s work all the more. Today with high speeds, continuous shots, and Photoshop, it’s much easier. Two summers ago, I was in Allentown and a girl,  probably about 15 got a new camera. She was testing her skills and her mother noticed I had a Nikon camera and wondered if I would mind answering a question her daughter had about using her camera. The mother and I spoke and I shared how years ago, I was lucky if more than a few good photos came from a roll of film. The girl did have an understanding of film, but was amazed film was still used in this century. DSLR’s  became more affordable about 2005 or so, I think I made the switch in 2006, but she would have been a toddler.

My D500 made all the difference in the world taking pics of my daughter and her marching band— but man is it a lot of work picking out the keepers. (I don’t intentionally try to spray-n-pray, but I still wind up with about a 1000 shots per performance.)

41 minutes ago, deftguy said:

You know you are an old phart when a 2019 colorguard audition says you have to be able to throw 7's routinely, and you can barely throw a 5 and "routinely" catch it. 

Youre old only if you think thats new..lol..sorry was to easy.. announcing it might be new ( youre right ) good way to prepare or take a seat

• Haha 1

To solve the mystery, Pennsylvania Dutch Eggnog (PDE) is a readymade adult beverage that is sold only during the holidays at such fine retailers as BevMo, Costco, and whereever premium liqueurs are sold. It is 30 proof, goes down wonderfully, warms the senses, then you wake up with a time gap. Unlike a Boone’s Farm Apple Ripple which is best suited for cleaning corrosion from the terminals on your car’s battery, PDE is subtle yet unassuming, with a slightly delicate afternose. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TRacer said:

It is 30 proof, goes down wonderfully, warms the senses, then you wake up with a time gap

Last time I had a time gap like that I literally woke up married to a stripper. Ahhhhhh...youth.