YEA suspends operations of Cadets 2

46 minutes ago, BigW said:

Also unsure if they felt it was necessary, or really part of their brand or a good fit for the future, Jeff. That also seemed to be insinuated.

Which was I speculated that if YEA ever decides to field another corps, it would be as Open Class, not through DCA.

Considering all that's happened, I'd doubt that YEA (with emphasis on the Y) would be likely to associate again with an all-age activity.

Edited by ykw

14 minutes ago, camel lips said:

Something tells me that Cadets is going to have a real hard time with Donations over the road this summer. Its not going to be easy on them with all this uncertainty. I know they are pinning hopes on the Alumni corps to feed them but that is only going to bring in so much $$$ per marching member. You would need each Alumni to write a check for $10 K each to scratch the surface. 

the new CEO has serious non profit chops at the upper levels. The new Board has been working on the future in addition to continuing to deal with fall out. But I can tell you the alumni base is more energized top to bottom than I have seen in years. Plus has the DCI end of year check been sent out yet? That could help make a dent. Folding C2 may help lead to some tax write downs too which can help, as well as eliminating costs for staff, equipment that could be sold or rented, insurance, busses, housing, feeding etc....

but it'll take time, especially with the on going legal issues. I'll be anxious to see what if anything DCI says, but I am sure they knew it was coming

32 minutes ago, ykw said:

Which was I speculated that if YEA ever decides to field another corps, it would be as Open Class, not through DCA.

Considering all that's happened, I'd doubt that YEA (with emphasis on the Y) would be likely to associate again with an all-age activity.

Or would DCA let them at this point is another question?? 

2 hours ago, fsthnds said:

The $600 K is more related to the lower participation in US Bands this fall and the losses from that cash cow

Actually, this is more related to the accumulated deficit from the prior administration coupled with the increased expenses due to investigations, legal fees and additional staff development around new policies and procedures. band participation was not that much lower from a year ago... although there were some weather related financial hits.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

ah my bad. But DCA corps arent the money makers everyone assumes, especially with the previous management style

It's probably far far less than 10%.  I doubt ANY DCA corps is operating on a $600k budget.  Without much travel out of the NE, I bet they were more like $150k or less to run.  

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the new CEO has serious non profit chops at the upper levels. The new Board has been working on the future in addition to continuing to deal with fall out. But I can tell you the alumni base is more energized top to bottom than I have seen in years. Plus has the DCI end of year check been sent out yet? That could help make a dent. Folding C2 may help lead to some tax write downs too which can help, as well as eliminating costs for staff, equipment that could be sold or rented, insurance, busses, housing, feeding etc....

but it'll take time, especially with the on going legal issues. I'll be anxious to see what if anything DCI says, but I am sure they knew it was coming

Tax write downs at a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization?

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

Or would DCA let them at this point is another question?? 

The big boogie man is no longer part of YEA. Plus never read that DCA or any hotels had any problem with the corps. And they did bring in some new fans from the C(1) world based on what I saw. So far C2 has been a plus for DCA.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TwoValves said:

It's probably far far less than 10%.  I doubt ANY DCA corps is operating on a $600k budget.  Without much travel out of the NE, I bet they were more like $150k or less to run.  

I can't tell you todays figures but Years ago in 2005 ISH  I know of one corps budget with Travel, Staff and equipment was 150k ish . Add having to rent a Semi to haul a massive trailer ,, and the added staff for Electronics not to mention the added purchase of Electronics ,, uniform changes and horn and drum changes every few years which seems to be more frequent with the top corps and I would say your getting closer to 300K now days. The lower tier corps can no doubt still do it on a shoe string budget of 100K if they skip all the cool stuff but they are not going to be competitive. 

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The big boogie man is no longer part of YEA. Plus never read that DCA or any hotels had any problem with the corps. And they did bring in some new fans from the C(1) world based on what I saw. So far C2 has been a plus for DCA.

PArt of the DCA evaluation is the Financial stability part. C2 Would have to open up the books and be able to demonstrate to DCA they would be able to complete the season and are on solid ground. 

It would be a tough sale in my book. Certainly one I would scrutinize. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, camel lips said:

PArt of the DCA evaluation is the Financial stability part. C2 Would have to open up the books and be able to demonstrate to DCA they would be able to complete the season and are on solid ground. 

It would be a tough sale in my book. Certainly one I would scrutinize. 

Ok didn't realize you were thinking on those lines, good point.