YEA suspends operations of Cadets 2 and Lays off 9 Employees

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Hope you’re right about the money and it allows C2 to come back. Now do people see the alumni project and think how it affected C2?

seperate question: how much of a feeder was C2 for both members and staff 

look....as much as this sucks, remember, YEA is and has always been all about one thing:

The Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County Sponsored by YEA ( did I miss a name in there?)

why was USBands and all of its previous names changed to avoid creditors set up? to raise funds and recruit for the Cadets.

Why was C2, CWG and CWP set up? to help recruit and train for the Cadets. 

I'm not saying any of this to knock the Cadets or YEA. There was logic in the move to create all of those groups. Sadly there was just #### poor management, internal strife, and now lawsuits and criminal actions that were involved along the way. 

Oh hades I know about hard money choices with groups. If something had to be cut wasn’t going to be from C(1).

Glad you brought up the band world as wonder how much GHs crap hurt that part of income

1 hour ago, fsthnds said:

Oh I agree a limb or limbs need to be lost from YEA

My point was why continue the anniversary project? Oh, I know why, they need C2 equipment, assets, and uniforms for it

First, I do not think the Anniversary Corps would cost any way near what it would cost to run C2. As has already been mentioned, the Alumni corps/anniversary celebration has the potential to bring in much needed funds. The anniversary can potentially be an important healing presence for the corps. Getting alums on board is going to be critical. Yes, donations from some will be important, but as we've seen from past news reports, donors stopped giving and companies pulled  sponsorships of the corps last Spring. This is bound to happen in these kids of situations. Alums who can speak for the organization can be key to ensuring sponsors and donors that the organization is solid. As it is, some may see not fielding C2 as a sign the entire organization is about to go belly up and donations may be withheld.

If it is, as you suggest, a way of using C2's equipment, uniforms, etc., YEA/Cadets is in more trouble than they may realize. 

1 hour ago, fsthnds said:

YEA is doing this so they have enough funds and assets for their Anniversary project.

Smart  move? (NOT) Sacrifice the ONLY successful part of your organization over the last 5 years

No ... YEA is doing this so they have enough funds and assets to EXIST.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dooser11 said:

seems surprising that they had that much fat on staff at the YEA! mother-ship to lay off 7 employees especially with the revolving door they had for years. Or is this just the band season ended and lets get rid of their support staff for now?

I thought the same thing too. It does seem like a large number. A top heavy organization is often a sign of poor leadership. Tricia Nadonly puts the number at nine, and we do not know if they are full time employees or part timers. Full time employees usually impact the bottom line since benefits are involved though severance , while not mandatory  is often given. Letting go of part time employees does not save as much, but severance is not always part of the picture. My thought would be that the employees were not let go now that band season has ended since that would mean they were only seasonal to begin with, so they wouldn’t be laid off or terminated, their jobs would be finished. 

Full or part time, this is not the time of the year to be losing a job. An unwritten rule many businesses follow is that after November 1st, hold off on layoffs or terminations until after the new year if at all possible. No doubt difficult choices had to be made.

12 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Full or part time, this is not the time of the year to be losing a job. An unwritten rule many businesses follow is that after November 1st, hold off on layoffs or terminations until after the new year if at all possible. No doubt difficult choices had to be made.

GM take note...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Even though Cadet 2000 posted this news in the Cadets 2019 thread earlier, this thread might allow the other thread to be about the upcoming year for the Cadets.

Well, I just thought there were too many Cadets threads as it is. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

shame is it never says if C2 could come back down the road.

It also doesn't say whether it couldn't (glass half full lol).

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Programs I could "get" without needing a doctorate in something.

If only this applied more broadly.

47 minutes ago, hughesmr said:

No ... YEA is doing this so they have enough funds and assets to EXIST.

MDBCA had to do the same thing after the 2003 by disbanding Capital Sound and later after 2006 by cutting Southwind lose so the Scouts could survive.  I was heartbroken in 2003 but I understood why they did it.  The big dog eats first. 

• Like 1