YEA suspends operations of Cadets 2 and Lays off 9 Employees

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well the indoor side wasn't raking in the bucks, and with many bands leaving this fall, even per the article where they want back at Hop, they estimated the lost on fees this past fall with bands leaving.

watch fees go up this fall. 

I hope they don't raise the fees. That might have even more negative impact on participants. They need to increase $$$ by getting more bands involved, not trying to soak the current bands that stuck with them. We'll see.

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Glad you brought up the band world as wonder how much GHs crap hurt that part of income

The impact to USBands was in one of the documents I read...I think in the YEA-sues-Hopkins part of the recent discussions.

• Thanks 1

If I recall correctly, it took about a year before Royal-Airs reunion corps had their first rehearsal.  But they were starting from nothing.  Had to get brass and drums.   They had no organization like the Cadets have.  It should be much easier for them, I would think. 

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

I hope they don't raise the fees. That might have even more negative impact on participants. They need to increase $$$ by getting more bands involved, not trying to soak the current bands that stuck with them. We'll see.

agreed. but years of enticing new groups in with freebies or discounts and didnt help, and several people told me freebies were given this year to keep people from leaving. MetLife isnt cheap. flying people all over the country to judge isn't cheap, especially when you run shows in idaho or texas or wherever else they ran this fall. 

55 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. but years of enticing new groups in with freebies or discounts and didnt help, and several people told me freebies were given this year to keep people from leaving. MetLife isnt cheap. flying people all over the country to judge isn't cheap, especially when you run shows in idaho or texas or wherever else they ran this fall. 

Hopefully they rethink some of how they run things....I bet they do, having seen the new admin. I don't doubt the freebies, esp this year. They were just trying to survive however they could.  Running shows in other parts of the country is fine, but they will hopefully rethink the judging situation where possible, and use local people where possible. I judged some shows for them immediately after 9/11 when flying around the country got curtailed quite a bit. George had judges who totally bailed (understandable), so he asked me to fill in a few times when my band was not competing.

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hope you’re right about the money and it allows C2 to come back. Now do people see the alumni project and think how it affected C2?

seperate question: how much of a feeder was C2 for both members and staff 

I know at least for some people it was a step, Jim. Center Snare a couple of seasons ago did C2 before moving up to Cadets. Uncertain if his brother also went up to Cadets. Jeff I think can be more specific, but for percussion it seemed to be more successful in that way than Brass and Guard. C2's brass took a massive step up last season, and had they kept going, could have been a pretty tough customer in DCA in 2019.

• Thanks 1

A few important details seem vague based on choice of words - maybe someone can clarify.

- Is the $600,000 really a "deficit" (a recurring shortfall in the annual budget), or a "debt" (a one-time thing)?  The YEA! announcement called it a "deficit", but many people use these two words synonymously.  The legal situation already led us to expect a $600,000 debt, but a budget deficit of that size would be extremely worrying.

- As others have asked, is the C2 corps gone or just sitting out temporarily?  The announcement used the terms "discontinuation", "eliminate", "suspension" and "end".  Three out of four sound permanent, but use of the word "suspension" clouds things.

- Has it been established anywhere that the anniversary corps is not paying its own costs, much less whether it had any impact on this decision?  Not one word of the YEA! announcement addresses the anniversary corps, which makes me think it is paying its own way.

Wasn't part of the rationale of establishing C-2 to have feeder corps that soaks up demand to march with YEA!  I thought it was.

So, does this move indicate that said demand to march at YEA! has diminished?  If so, are there any prognostications of what that change might have been?

From a business perspective, it would make sense to me to funnel all the demand into Cadets to put the supply/demand equation back in relative equilibrium.  Is that a fair assessment, or part of one?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

A few important details seem vague based on choice of words - maybe someone can clarify.

- Is the $600,000 really a "deficit" (a recurring shortfall in the annual budget), or a "debt" (a one-time thing)?  The YEA! announcement called it a "deficit", but many people use these two words synonymously.  The legal situation already led us to expect a $600,000 debt, but a budget deficit of that size would be extremely worrying.

- As others have asked, is the C2 corps gone or just sitting out temporarily?  The announcement used the terms "discontinuation", "eliminate", "suspension" and "end".  Three out of four sound permanent, but use of the word "suspension" clouds things.

- Has it been established anywhere that the anniversary corps is not paying its own costs, much less whether it had any impact on this decision?  Not one word of the YEA! announcement addresses the anniversary corps, which makes me think it is paying its own way.

"Suspending" operations in order to shut down the organization makes the most sense.  Suspending operations still leaves people in to wrap things up, then it ends.  In the financial world (my world) suspension typically means revenue is ending and operations continue only to settle expenses and debt, then the lights are turned off.