Mother of All Alumni Corps!

KeithHall

In a post seen today it talked about Cadets alumni corps but said that 27th was the bar that was set for ALL alumni corps. I would say that 27th, Anaheim, SCV, Madison have done fantastic job to put them together but in my opinion I would have to say that Mighty St. Joe's of Batavia set the bar a long time ago! St. Joe's is still out there as an alumni corps since, I believe, the early 1980's. 

I was never a member but thought it was good that they brought it back and it was a place for all those guys and girls who marched in the 60's and up to 1971 to still get a few parades in since and socialize.

St. Joe's Alumni was one of the corps who would rock the Harrisburg Forum at that springtime concert... IMO the glory years of the alumni-corps movement, circa late 1980s through mid-2000s or so.   Always enjoyed their rendition of "Bully."

First "alumni-style" corps I remember seeing was the Archer-Epler Musketeers, when they did an exhibition at the National Dream contest in 1978. Of course, they returned to competition for a few years after that... 1981-84... before becoming a full-time alumni corps.

Edited by Fran Haring

the thing with those mentioned by the OP were they ere mostly one offs...special deals put together for a one time only.

Royal Airs started that way and were awesome, but as time went on, the quality suffered, egos, infighting...the same in several places.

The biggest issue is for a corps that no longer exist....many of the alumni of those corps when they were active are gone or may not be able to do it anymore. Of those that are still going full time, St Joes, Boston, Sky and Cabs stand out above the rest.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The biggest issue is for a corps that no longer exist....many of the alumni of those corps when they were active are gone or may not be able to do it anymore. Of those that are still going full time, St Joes, Boston, Sjy and Cabs stand out above the rest.

I'll add Hanover Lancers to that list.  Been around as an alumni corps since the 1990s, still doing very well.

More of a "hybrid corps" to me. A nice mix of young and old, drum corps vets and some who've never marched corps, and a bit of a different performance schedule than some "traditional" alumni corps.

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I'll add Hanover Lancers to that list.  Been around as an alumni corps since the 1990s, still doing very well.

More of a "hybrid corps" to me. A nice mix of young and old, drum corps vets and some who've never marched corps, and a bit of a different performance schedule than some "traditional" alumni corps.

I always forget Hanover because when i did frequent shows that had lots of alumni groups, i was always warming up or cleaning up when they were on

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

"One More Alumni":

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights.  Been around for a good long while,  😎

Elphaba      :flower:

• Like 1