Help me out here!

My nephew and I get together each winter to gorge ourselves on Drum Corps shows.  We try to have a topic for each years get together and I need some help with this years assignment.  Help me if you can by submitting your input.  Thanks.

"1972 Kingsmen to 2018 Vangaurd.  How did we get here?  The '72 Kingsmen, if marching today, would be regarded as a novelty, a nostalgic backward glance.  But, how did we get from there to  here?  Our task is to pick the 6 drum corps that got us from there to here.  Not necessarily champions, but trend setters non the less, that pushed the activity to a different place.  Choose your six mold breakers and be prepared to make a case for them to present to the 2019 DCI winterfest.  Take your time and consider your picks carefully.  Eagerly anticipating your response, UB."

1972 Kingsmen - Start

1976- Blue Devils- Changed how drum corps sound based on instrumentation and composition

1980 -  Brought Broadway to drum corps and dance to Colorguard not to mention the best percussion lines of the early 80's 

1983- Garfield Cadets - The Cadets bought asymmetrical  drill design to a championship corps

1991- Academie Musicale- Bought body movement to drum corps in a major way.

1993- Star Of Indiana- Bought body movement to world-class corps  in a major way

2006- Cadets-  Presented a show with a singer, characters in costumes Large props, an acrobatic color guard,  people jumping off pink benches, Uniform/costumes on the corps proper, body movement etc... This show was a case of too much too soon and was blasted by critics

*Forgot to add Amplification innovators- Cadets did introduce amplification to modern drum corps ( via rules congress )but Bluecoats perfected it.  So.

2014 Bluecoats or 2015 Bluecoats-  

2018- Santa Clara Vanguard-Finish

Honorable Mention- 1976 Bridgemen,  2004 Carolina Crown,  So many others

* There are so many corps I could have added. I'll make a second list after I see a few other lists.  I have a second and third list ready to go. 

*Don't criticize my list unless you put together one of your own.

Edited by boxingfred
Added Stuff
  • Like 4

All these Corps above certainly influenced and molded the activity.

I'll put in a plug for the 1st Corps to utilize electronics ( a synthesizer ) in a Drum Corps show as well here..The 1985 Boston Crusaders. What is unique about this, is that a synthesizer was not allowed under the  DCI rules in 1985. But Boston decided for creative/ musical reasons to utilize it anyway. When told they'd be penalized if they used a synthesizer, in competition,  BAC smiled and went out with it anyway.  They took the penalty. But in doing so, they opened the door in the future for others, and made DCI history in the process.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

All these Corps above certainly influenced and molded the activity.

I'll put in a plug for the 1st Corps to utilize electronics ( a synthesizer ) in a Drum Corps show as well here..The 1985 Boston Crusaders. What is unique about this, is that a synthesizer was not allowed under the  DCI rules in 1985. But Boston decided for creative/ musical reasons to utilize it anyway. When told they'd be penalized if they used a synthesizer, in competition,  BAC smiled and went out with it anyway.  They took the penalty. But in doing so, they opened the door in the future for others, and made DCI history in the process.

I  couldn't remember the year but, I do remember BAC playing Axel F. So I left it off.

• Like 1

What if you look at it from a different perspective, and pick shows that fit that perspective. How about the major rule changes that got us from there to here...

-Doing away with the "tick system" of judging allowed corps to take more risks with their shows musically and visually, and m ore asymmetrical drill [I think this was around 1970, but there seemed to be a time of transition until about 1983 or so] Any show with drill written by George Zingali 

-Allowing groups to ground their pit/front ensemble/wherever it is exactly located percussion ensemble [1978 I believe when groups could have instruments start from anywhere on the field, and not behind the starting line] 1980 Spirit maybe

-Allowing of any key bugles (for bell front instruments) [2000 season was the first year this was allowed if I remember correctly] Anything in the 2000 season would be a good choice 

-Allowing for amplification of keyboard instruments [2004 when it was first utilized, passed in the 2003 winter meetings I believe] the Cadets 2005 with the "vocal drum break"

-Allowing for use of electronic instruments, keyboards, etc. [2008 was the first year I believe] Bluecoats 2014

-Allowing for trombones, french horns, etc. to be utilized [2014 was the first season] So maybe BD 2017, the use of trombones was incredible

-Not having a rule about wearing a traditional uniform, headgear, etc. (I know this makes me sound like a real dinosaur) [really started in 2016 with the Bluecoats, though you had seen a little of this form other groups previously] So go with Bluecoats 2016

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I like these lists but I think ‘82 Garfield Cadets broke new ground.  I remember seeing them the first time at Drums on Parade in Madison and thought, wow, that’s new and fresh.   I love that. 

agreed...82 begat 83. Also BD 94 picked up where Star left off. 

and 08 Phantom started the story telling trend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1