Help me out here!

8 hours ago, FlamMan said:

This is nothing to be proud of. A big step backwards.

in some cases yes...bass drops, thunderous goo

9 hours ago, FlamMan said:

This is nothing to be proud of. A big step backwards.

I don't know. Its a matter of opinion, and personal taste... of course. Its like the forward pass in football in the early years of college football. Nobody used it, and most hated it. They preferred running plays alone.  Most wanted no augmentation to the offense, except the run. Then  St. Louis Univ QB Bradbury Robinson threw the 1st forward pass downfield.. ..incomplete. Because it was an incompletion, naysayers stipulated the forward pass " ruined the traditional game ", and " doesn't work ".. Even up until the 60's, legendary and HOF College Football Coach Woody Hayes of Ohio State HATED utiliziing the forward pass. He quipped : " 3 things can happen when you throw the ball, and 2 of 'em are bad " (  ie. completion, incompletion, interception ). But he realized the game was changing, and not to be left behind and to also to remain relevant and competitive, even Woody Hayes began to acquiesce to the use of the forward pass. Today, fast forward, and its inconceivable that the N.E. Patriots could have become a dynasty in the NFL the last 15 years if their Head Coach and their QB decided to run the ball on offense most of the time. In DCI Drum Corps too, if you are not innovative, you become irrelevant pretty quickly. And far more than in the sport of football too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there was such a thread at one time. 

Oh and I was an extra in Major League II with Tom Berenger

Tom was in Major League with Rene Russo

Rene Russo was in in Showtime with Robert DeNiro

DeNiro was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon

Tom Berenger was in Born on the Fourth of July with Bob Gunton

Bob Gunton was in JFK with Bacon

You're a 2, not a 4!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, frachel said:

Tom Berenger was in Born on the Fourth of July with Bob Gunton

Bob Gunton was in JFK with Bacon

You're a 2, not a 4!

well the square root of 4 is 2...and for those of us that marched Westshore percussion in the 90's, everything comes back to 4 eventually!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

in some cases yes...bass drops, thunderous goo

Its the same way with the use of " electronics "  in Pop, Rock, Alt, Country, Rap Music today. Its how its utilized. Some use it well. Others its cringeworthy.  For perspective, the 2  biggest music stars in the early 60's were Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley. When " electronics " were introduced, via Rock N' Roll Bands primarily, both of their careers began to slowly, but surely nose dive.  Dylan was a folk music icon. He utilized an unplugged folk guitar. Watch Elvis in the early years. He utilized an unplugged guitar too. But to paraphrase even Dylan himself .." the times, they were a' changing". Some good. Some bad. It depends on one's tastes. And in the 70's to now, many of the young liked their music at 3 levels.. 1) "loud".. 2) " LOUDER"....  3) and " So freakin LOUD, it can be heard in the next zip code".. We don't have to explain how popular groups such as AC/DC, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, and 500 similar bands became by enhancing and augmenting the sound of their band via the heavy use of sound engineering via the use of " electronics ". Drum Corps is not the same in 1962 as it is today. But neither is the Music most of the young listen to today either. A young and talented Bob Dylan of 1962 would not be able to fill up a local VFW Hall today for a concert if he decided he was going to remain " pure ",  and not use " electronics " but instead just utilize his unplugged folk guitar.. Today's young are marinated in the use of heavy duty " electronics ", in just about every aspect of their lives.. music included. The notion  that some appear to have then that " electronics " would not, or should not, eventually find its way into MB/ Drum Corps is just not reality, imo.   " Electronics "  was inevitable, imo . Essentially, you either adapt to the changing times, or you become irrelevant, or worse.. extinct. But ya, the use of " electronics " in DCI Drum Corps is still in its experimental stages, and designers are still going by trial and error to figure out how best to incorporate it. They'll eventually figure out what works best over time, imo. But like I said, " electronics " use was simply inevitable in Drum Corps, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Brasso - paragraphs are your friend. 

Only after my 2nd cup of coffee.. but thanks for the reminder. Its true,  the Nuns would not be happy with my lack of the use of the paragraph on too many occasions to count on here.  Old bad habits die hard, I guess.

Edited by BRASSO

Lots of choices shown here and all are on point. Mine would be:

1. 1972/74 Kingsmen

2. 1974 SCV

3. 1980 27th Lancers

4. 1983/84 Garfield Cadets

5. 1988 SCV (Broadway at another level)

6. 1993 Star of Indiana

7. 2002 Cavaliers

8. 2008 Phantom Regiment

9. 2016 Bluecoats

9 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Only after my 2nd cup of coffee.. but thanks for the reminder. Its true,  the Nuns would not be happy with my lack of the use of the paragraph on too many occasions to count on here.  Old bad habits die hard, I guess.

If it makes you feel better, when older nuns see my handwriting, they can’t believe I ever attended Catholic school.

• Haha 3