Help me out here!

I would also like to say that 2016 Bluecoats stands out to me as well. Not as much from an "innovation" standpoint (though there were some unique innovations with the split front ensemble and miking.) I think it's more of "getting everything pretty much dead nuts right" perspective. The staging was great, powerful hornline, great drill and overall show concept, attainable music concept that was easy to understand and enjoy, and a solid drumline. To me, it's more a "culmination of the last decades improvements" type of situation. My only "even better if" moment is the snare lick at the first part of the show on the ramps. Mic'd up, it sounds like shoes in a dryer. But up close it was clean as a whistle. 

22 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would also like to say that 2016 Bluecoats stands out to me as well. Not as much from an "innovation" standpoint (though there were some unique innovations with the split front ensemble and miking.) I think it's more of "getting everything pretty much dead nuts right" perspective. The staging was great, powerful hornline, great drill and overall show concept, attainable music concept that was easy to understand and enjoy, and a solid drumline. To me, it's more a "culmination of the last decades improvements" type of situation. My only "even better if" moment is the snare lick at the first part of the show on the ramps. Mic'd up, it sounds like shoes in a dryer. But up close it was clean as a whistle. 

yeah micing over time has led some things clean in person to sound horrid on the cd's

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah micing over time has led some things clean in person to sound horrid on the cd's

Best setup for the stadium doesn't mean it will sound good for the recording mikes, etc. And if it means a higher score- easy sacrifice to make, esp. for a medal.