Help me out here!

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Kevin Bacon.

That would be a new thread. Which is one reason why DCP was started in the first place - people couldn't stay on topic on the previous platform. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Haha 1

Just now, HockeyDad said:

That would be a new thread. Which is one reason why DCP was started in the first place - people couldn't stay on topic. 

there was such a thread at one time. 

Oh and I was an extra in Major League II with Tom Berenger

Tom was in Major League with Rene Russo

Rene Russo was in in Showtime with Robert DeNiro

DeNiro was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon

• Like 2

I'm focusing on the early years.

First of all, I think if we look at the movers and shakers who got us where we are today, it would be the following corps or at least their staff and directors in 1971: Blue Stars, Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard, Troopers, 27th lancers, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Blue Rock, Garfield Cadets, Boston Crusaders, Anaheim Kingsmen, Argonne Rebels, and De La Salle Oaklands--they got DCI started which made all we see today possible.

1975: I am going to mention three corps that I believe did great things musically that last to this day. Madison showed us what sheer power can do, Blue Devils gave us a glimpse of how a jazz themed musical book can look, and Phantom did the same with classical. While there are earlier roots of BD and Jazz and PR with classical, we have the best complete early shows on the Legacy DVD's. 

1976 Bridgemen.

1979 27th Lancers: Not discounting anything Zingali did with Cadets or Star, but if you look at the drill he wrote that year, you can see the basics of what would later evolve.

1982 Cadets: I would agree with Terri and Jeff here. 1983 was their first championship, 1984 still stands us as one of drum crops greatest shows, 1985 we expected no less than what we saw in previous years, but 1982 as the year that people began to notice there was something different about Cadets, making finals in 1980 was not a fluke and 1981 was jsuyt the beginning of a climb.

1985 Star of Indiana. This is more an off the field situation than what was in the field.  Bill Cook may have given a huge chunk of change to start Star, but eh also developed a business moel of how a corps can be sustained and freely shared this advice with Star's competitors.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

1985 Star of Indiana. This is more an off the field situation than what was in the field.  Bill Cook may have given a huge chunk of change to start Star, but eh also developed a business moel of how a corps can be sustained and freely shared this advice with Star's competitors.

👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there was such a thread at one time. 

Oh and I was an extra in Major League II with Tom Berenger

Tom was in Major League with Rene Russo

Rene Russo was in in Showtime with Robert DeNiro

DeNiro was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon

So your Bacon Number is 4? Wow!

1 hour ago, BigW said:

So your Bacon Number is 4? Wow!

I am Westshore percussion alum...the number 4 overwhelms our lives.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, BRASSO said:

All these Corps above certainly influenced and molded the activity.

I'll put in a plug for the 1st Corps to utilize electronics ( a synthesizer ) in a Drum Corps show as well here..The 1985 Boston Crusaders. What is unique about this, is that a synthesizer was not allowed under the  DCI rules in 1985. But Boston decided for creative/ musical reasons to utilize it anyway. When told they'd be penalized if they used a synthesizer, in competition,  BAC smiled and went out with it anyway.  They took the penalty. But in doing so, they opened the door in the future for others, and made DCI history in the process.

This is nothing to be proud of. A big step backwards.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, FlamMan said:

This is nothing to be proud of. A big step backwards.

Haha you're gonna get flamed for this. I do agree with you though. I view electronics as a gimmick or crutch, versus an innovation. 

• Haha 1