In The News – Akron To Host Piece Of Pro Football Hall Of Fame Enshrinement Festival

Akron is getting a piece of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Festival. The 2019 DCI Tour of Champions show — a competition featuring drum corps from around the country — is moving from Paul Brown Stadium in Massillon to InfoCision Stadium in Akron, the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce announced this week. Read […]

View the full article

I'd been meaning to look this up to find if this show was indeed still connected to the Enshrinement Festival now that it had moved from Massillon to Akron, so it's nice to see this article that confirms that. Unfortunately, I've just learned that Mythcon is scheduled for Aug. 2-5 in San Diego, so I'm going to miss this event. A shame, because Akron is only about half as far from my home as Massillon is.

------------------------------

The DCI Tour of Champions, hosted by the Canton Bluecoats, is one of nearly two dozen events that comprise the annual festival and is typically the last event of the celebration. The show has outgrown Paul Brown Stadium, which can seat more than 16,000 spectators, the chamber said.

"This move is truly a testament to the world-class talent of our Bluecoats and the entire DCI Tour of Champions corps,” Joanne Murray, vice president of community events and sponsorships for the chamber, said in a prepared statement. “The opportunity to share the excitement of our annual Enshrinement activities in Akron is a win for drum corps fans, the competitors and our festival.”

InfoCision Stadium, which seats about 30,000, has ample parking, easier access via ticket gates and room to grow the show even larger, the chamber said.

------------------------------

I believe that 16,000 figure is for the entire Massillon stadium, not just the home side.

Outgrowing a stadium is a happy problem for drum corps, I would think!!!

• Like 1

Infocision is a great stadium! looking forward to this--as great as Massilon is because of the sound, Infocision will be awesome for its size, way better concession access for those who want that,and the sound will be great as well.  Hope it is a sell out like Massilon has been these past years.