Alumni Corps "How To" Questions

jonnyboy

Hey group, a corps I work with is planning a one time alumni corps extravaganza parade.  It is designed to be a parade corps for a single Thanksgiving day parade in 2019.  The participants are required to sign up and pay in advance, attend a full rehearsal on the Wednesday (one day) before the parade, stay with the corps at a hotel in the city, then do the parade on Thanksgiving.  We are hoping for a large alumni turn out and a large percentage of the 2019 corps attending the parade.  That would give us a corps of 200-300.  Cost is about $300 and includes a uniform, instrument and hotel room.

My question, regarding the 27th Lancers field show in 94, the Star of Indianna, Madison Scouts, Santa Clara Vanguard Rose Parade corps etc.  The big ONE TIME get togethers:

Did corps accept non-alumni in the ranks?

Did the cost cover just the fundamental fielding of the corps, or was this used as a fundraiser?

Did the corps require 100% of members make 100% of rehearsal time?

IF you were involved in a big ONE TIME project do you have any tips?  Suggestions?

Some prospective members are questioning the all day rehearsal and taking a day off of work.  Some alums just don't seem to be into to concept.  Some think only alumni should march, others think it should be open to anyone that wants to celebrate drum corps and help with the fundraiser involved.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Madison and SCV were alumni

I think there, they have a massive pool of alumni from over 40+ years at SCV and 80 at the Scouts... and well documented contact info which enabled them both to field large groups. Some other corps have not done particularly well at maintaining contact info.

15 hours ago, BigW said:

I think there, they have a massive pool of alumni from over 40+ years at SCV and 80 at the Scouts... and well documented contact info which enabled them both to field large groups. Some other corps have not done particularly well at maintaining contact info.

And then you have the question of how long the competitive corps has been gone. Age may drive that in finding people and find those who can physically do it

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps (2007) accepted non-alumni.  We had several BD, SCV, and Freelancer alumni. We all paid for our own uniforms, instruments, and probably some membership fee but I don't remember.  It was a LOT of work, but an unforgettable experience I'll remember the rest of my life.  

The only thing I would advise is to have a few key members set the ground rules and see if enough people want to participate to make it worth it.  You're never going to please everyone.

14 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

The Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps (2007) accepted non-alumni.  We had several BD, SCV, and Freelancer alumni. We all paid for our own uniforms, instruments, and probably some membership fee but I don't remember.  It was a LOT of work, but an unforgettable experience I'll remember the rest of my life.  

The only thing I would advise is to have a few key members set the ground rules and see if enough people want to participate to make it worth it.  You're never going to please everyone.

Lol you had three people Hanover in your corps that year so can back up there were non-alumni.

50 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol you had three people Hanover in your corps that year so can back up there were non-alumni.

Madison, Phantom Regiment, & Seneca Optimists too. Even Velvet Knights!  I’m sure there were more just don’t remember them all. 

• Like 1