1992 SCV - one of the most exciting shows ever

When the season doesn’t go quite the way you wanted it to,  just perform your heart out!  That’s exactly what SCV did at DCI finals in ‘92.  They traded their props for passion and let it fly.  Possibly the largest crowd ever at DCI and by the time the show was finished everyone was an SCV fan, and on their feet long before the show was over.  Powerful, precision and passion!  Truly, a “real” gridiron spectacle.

https://vimeo.com/196951050

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 5

the emotion and knowing GR was done after the show had a huge effect too.

• Like 2

A few years ago, I sent an acquaintance of mine, a classical music critic who lives one town over from Santa Clara and is a big fan of Shostakovitch in particular, but who was completely unfamiliar with drum corps, a link to video of Phantom's 1996 show.

He didn't care for it at all. He thought the musical arrangements were horrible.

Now I know he's also a fan of musical theater, I think including Fiddler. And maybe, given that the music is simpler to start with, he'd be less bothered by the changes.

But as I contemplate that, I can almost hear him asking: What's the point of performing the bottle dance if you leave out the bottles?

It definitely brought an undeniable element of excitement and emotion to the finals performance because of Gail Royer's retirement, for sure. But I felt that the show itself, however, seemed stale and outdated in comparison to the competition. The same could be said for Phantom Regiment's 1812 show that year. Neither show captivated me like those two corps usually did, and once the nostalgia wore off, I was eagerly anticipating the next corps. (The Bottle Dance crowd reaction at finals was cool, though, there's no denying that!)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

A few years ago, I sent an acquaintance of mine, a classical music critic who lives one town over from Santa Clara and is a big fan of Shostakovitch in particular, but who was completely unfamiliar with drum corps, a link to video of Phantom's 1996 show.

He didn't care for it at all. He thought the musical arrangements were horrible.

Now I know he's also a fan of musical theater, I think including Fiddler. And maybe, given that the music is simpler to start with, he'd be less bothered by the changes.

But as I contemplate that, I can almost hear him asking: What's the point of performing the bottle dance if you leave out the bottles?

Many people consider the activity kitsch. It's why I've pretty much given up trying to really expand it to others. You get it or you do not. I know that comes across as negative, but when an individual told me he thought the Miss Saigon show was "Kitsch" and "Cute", that was when I gave up. I can only waste my efforts on so much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BigW said:

Many people consider the activity kitsch. It's why I've pretty much given up trying to really expand it to others. You get it or you do not. I know that comes across as negative, but when an individual told me he thought the Miss Saigon show was "Kitsch" and "Cute", that was when I gave up. I can only waste my efforts on so much.

Understandable. It's hard to explain to someone the amount of hard work, dedication and desire to learn, improve and perform that goes on in the activity. It's supposed to be about entertaining an audience in a unique way. An arrangement simply isn't going to match note for note when you have only brass and percussion and you aren't going to jam a 2+ hour stage production into 12 minutes and have it communicate the same effect to those who don't want to accept that it can. /shrug

When I saw SCV at a local show that summer, I thought it was nice and enjoyable show, but it didn’t quite pack a punch. I can imagine that at finals it would have been a bit more powerful being finals, and as others have mentioned, Gail Royer’s last finals as corps manager. However, I do enjoy watching it on DVD today. I find with many shows when you know the outcome and look back, you sometimes appreciate  them in a different way.

I miss the sound of those solos.

• Like 1

We went to DCI East prelims that year specifically to see SCV, and to see the Bottle Dance one more time.

What a great show.