1992 SCV - one of the most exciting shows ever

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Vanguard, by definition, means cutting edge. I saw SCV in the early 70s when that material was new, and it was impressive. The '92 version just wasn't. Nothing in the musical or visual book set any standards, the way that material did twenty years prior. Again, some people are into nostalgia, but I'm not one of them.YMMV.

Don’t tell PR that.  It was the power of nostalgia that largely made them DCI champs.

2 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

SCV 92 may have been one of the best drumlines in terms of talent, Jeff Queen, Murray Gusseck, Nick Angelis, Walter Powell, Matt Altmire, Colin McNutt, and many others. The tenor line, one of the all-time best.

The show overall is entertaining and fun.

shame they weren't shown off more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

SCV 92 may have been one of the best drumlines in terms of talent, Jeff Queen, Murray Gusseck, Nick Angelis, Walter Powell, Matt Altmire, Colin McNutt, and many others. The tenor line, one of the all-time best.

How many corps did Nick march in? 

17 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Vanguard, by definition, means cutting edge. I saw SCV in the early 70s when that material was new, and it was impressive. The '92 version just wasn't. Nothing in the musical or visual book set any standards, the way that material did twenty years prior. Again, some people are into nostalgia, but I'm not one of them.YMMV.

Agreed, though I'm not even certain that during the 70s those musical choices provided more than audiences lighting up and saying "hey I know that tune" whereas things like Young Person's Guide provoked more thought when first heard/viewed and we liked it so much we went out and purchased the symphonic recording. Not that playing obviously fan-familiar music lacked innovation in those times or today, though certainly now it's much less frequent. Now I find myself often humming the final portions of Babylon or pieces of Dreams & Nighthawks and I'd never heard a lick of that music before.

• Like 1

I found the video with the guard in the classic uniforms, wish they would have kept them in.

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You've got 30 seconds to post what you found.  Begin.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tGe3JE5IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVamazJ_KnM

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's unfortunate they decided to scrap all the different flags, costumes and props they used most of the season for the stripped down look they had at finals.  I don't know if keeping them would have helped their placement, though.  92 was a really competitive year.  Great show nonetheless.  Fiddler has some gorgeous music and I love the arrangements SCV played.

You have to understand that physically GR was very ill and knew the ‘92 season would be his “last ride”; in fact, he passed away about 8-10 months later. He wanted to see his drum corps do Fiddler “one more time”, and I for one loved the opening starting line move with the high mark time. Many younger DCP members don’t realize just how involved he was in the musical arranging of SCV shows in the early years, and Fiddler has his fingerprints on it. I still have sheet music from the seasons I marched, and the Bari 1 (in G!!) part of Clowns I have framed on my office wall says “ARR: G.R.” in the upper right corner. It’s the same arrangement you hear today, albeit on Bb instruments. 

Edited by TRacer
Typos
  • Like 3