1992 SCV - one of the most exciting shows ever

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I must be in the minority, but I thought them doing a throwback show was kinda sad. Oh well.

Sad why?  In a "don't they want to compete" way?  They way the judging community looks down their noses at throwbacks, you're right. But I'm sure Gail fully understood that and didn't care. Sometimes you just want to do what you want to do, and don't care what others think. See Cadets 12.25 as another example. To some, nostalgia is a powerful force. To others, not. Personally, I loved both of those shows. Maybe even more so knowing they wouldn't be championship contenders. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

While I would love to see the show before they took everything out, I highly enjoyed the show, and by Allentown, while the scores weren't where they hoped, the crowds were getting into it in a big way. it was fun....a full Fiddler show, which turned out to be the last of their full show musical years.....and we all know Fiddler and SCV. The Bottle Dance....good loud in your face spots....the opening drill sequence....and from my spot in the 9th row 50 at finals, the crowd at that #### up hardcore! The kids played the hell out of it too. 

And if it pops up on shuffle today, I'll gladly sit back and listen to it. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

While I would love to see the show before they took everything out, I highly enjoyed the show, and by Allentown, while the scores weren't where they hoped, the crowds were getting into it in a big way. it was fun....a full Fiddler show, which turned out to be the last of their full show musical years.....and we all know Fiddler and SCV. The Bottle Dance....good loud in your face spots....the opening drill sequence....and from my spot in the 9th row 50 at finals, the crowd at that #### up hardcore! The kids played the hell out of it too. 

And if it pops up on shuffle today, I'll gladly sit back and listen to it. 

The other day i came across an early season competition vid on YT, prior to a lot of the changes.  For the Bottle Dance, the guard members had changed out of the black dresses and into the blouse/vest version of the traditional uni...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gak27 said:

The other day i came across an early season competition vid on YT, prior to a lot of the changes.  For the Bottle Dance, the guard members had changed out of the black dresses and into the blouse/vest version of the traditional uni...

i just saw that yeah...not sure why but i had believed there was more props and gimmicks

That was the first year I saw a DCI show, and later when the CDs came out, I might have had a friend who had the CDs copy them to cassette tape for me. I would be riding the bus to and from school, or to and from basketball games (yes it is possible to be a band nerd and an athlete) and would be immersed in the music. Without having ever seen some of the groups (only saw Cavaliers, Crossmen, Glassmen, VK, Bluecoats, Dutch Boy, and Limited Edition in Centerville, OH) I would imagine what they looked like, and how the shows were actually put together visually. Anymore, with the internet (thanks to Al Gore...:innocent:) newbies to the activity do not have to imagine what a group looks like, or how the program plays out visually. Some were obvious, like Blue Devils, Blue Knights, I thought, "Hey, I bet they were a blue uniform," but in my mind the Cadets were in a military green or khaki (it would make sense, right?), SCV was a blue color (I think because of the colors of the Israeli flag, and the connection to the music in the show), Phantom Regiment was black (not far off), Madison Scouts were yellow and blue, and so on...

All this to say, SCV's show was one of the ones I transferred to another cassette, so I could have my favorite shows all on one tape. That list for those wondering was...

A-Side- Crossmen, SCV, BD, Cavaliers

B-Side- VK, BK, Madison, Star

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Sad why?  In a "don't they want to compete" way?  They way the judging community looks down their noses at throwbacks, you're right. But I'm sure Gail fully understood that and didn't care. Sometimes you just want to do what you want to do, and don't care what others think. 

Vanguard, by definition, means cutting edge. I saw SCV in the early 70s when that material was new, and it was impressive. The '92 version just wasn't. Nothing in the musical or visual book set any standards, the way that material did twenty years prior. Again, some people are into nostalgia, but I'm not one of them.YMMV.

Edited by Slingerland

10 hours ago, Slingerland said:

I must be in the minority, but I thought them doing a throwback show was kinda sad. Oh well.

The show was good / enjoyable for a one time viewing - I saw it a bunch of times that summer and it didn't have much depth so I ended up only watching it once during finals week. It was ok. 

SCV 92 may have been one of the best drumlines in terms of talent, Jeff Queen, Murray Gusseck, Nick Angelis, Walter Powell, Matt Altmire, Colin McNutt, and many others. The tenor line, one of the all-time best.

The show overall is entertaining and fun.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:08 PM, mjoakes said:

I miss the sound of those solos.

Me too!  Electronic amplification just ruins the authenticity and quality.  If you can keep a secret, I learned from physics that amplification often doesn’t really amplify.  Don’t let that secret out.  It would destroy some millennials.