Mellophone Brands/Models

Oboe

Mellophone would actually be my 5th instrument. The other instruments haven't caused any damage to my skill with my main instrument. If anything it's made me a better musician. My band directors don't let anyone play different instruments. It has nothing to do with me and my oboe or clarinet skills, it's just them being jerks. I know I have a lot of time, but I haven't been this ambitious about something for a while and I'll stop at nothing to make my dream come true. The earlier I start, the better chance I have.

Edited by Oboe
  • Like 1

If you are that set on it I’d say find a cheap used horn and go to it. Important thing is finding the right mouthpiece especially because you are starting out. If later you decide to continue you can look for a quality horn. Lol I’ve found half the fun is working on getting a really good tone consistently out of a POS horn. Have some ancient 1 valve baris and that’s a trick

Hey Oboe, what is a common thread of successful people, especially artists and musicians? They most often say  "Never let anyone say no or you can't do this.  I had a dream and followed it so if I did it anyone can!"  So get a "wild hair up your bell" to paraphrase a naysayer and get a horn and get going.  Learn what you need to about D.C. and your target corps.  Perseverance pays off. Good luck.   .././...

A Bach 7C Mello is a good starter Mello mouthpiece. Most Double Reed students are pretty bright and savvy. Playing a brass instrument is far easier to be truthful, and with effort, it should go well. Part of your plan should include looking at Open class corps as well as any DCA units in your area. I can think of some DCA units that would be more than ready to teach you up if you show effort and commitement.

The problem with purchasing a horn (unless you go with a cheap or used one) is you will play on whatever brand the corps you go to uses in the end. You will end up with a horn sitting in your closet most likely, so don't spend a bunch of money on a mellophone is my advice.

16 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Hey Oboe, what is a common thread of successful people, especially artists and musicians? They most often say  "Never let anyone say no or you can't do this.  I had a dream and followed it so if I did it anyone can!"  So get a "wild hair up your bell" to paraphrase a naysayer and get a horn and get going.  Learn what you need to about D.C. and your target corps.  Perseverance pays off. Good luck.   .././...

The naysayer was preaching patience, not saying they couldn't follow a dream. (oi.) Of course, talented students can do anything they set their minds to, but gaining experience and support from your instructors rather than fighting against what they teach you (and calling them jerks when it doesn't go your way) can generally get you further than trying to do it alone. 

Oboe - Andalucia, Yamaha, System Blue, King, Jupiter. In that order per my mello player. It's comes down to personal playing style and preference (my son prefers Andalucia, but spend his last couple seasons on System Blue and got used to it). As noted by Tuba1919, it doesn't matter what you personally own because any corps is going to hand you their affiliate horn anyway. Getting something (anything) in your hands to get the basics down and strong fundamentals will get you where you want to be - the rest will figure itself out. 

• Like 1

My daughter plays trumpet at school & mello in drum corps. Her band director also doesn’t let anyone borrow band instruments and after marching season, those instruments are put away so that no one could even use them in the band hall. His policy doesn’t have anything to do with people learning other instruments.  It’s because too many people have damaged those instruments  

We bought this off Amazon for her to practice with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BVG0WC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its almost $500, but it is brand new & works perfectly. 

I hope this is helpful. 

FYI if you just want a horn just to get used to playing one... if a piston/rotor ever is up for sale and looks good and good price... 

piston is valve 1 and rotor is valve 2. IOW no big conversion is needed

Edited by JimF-LowBari