Mellophone Brands/Models

Oboe

So I'm a woodwind that's really interested in auditioning for DCI in a few years. I'm planning on getting a Mellophone to learn but I don't exactly have a lot of money and I have no idea what brand or model to get. I've heard Yamaha is best. What mouthpiece and Mellophone should I look into buying?

I was going to try and borrow one but my band directors don't like when anyone plays an instrument other than their main unless you're a double reed during marching season, which I am but I already march Clarinet and I highly doubt they would let me switch. They didn't even put my in the show this year bc I was new to clarinet.

I know you don't want to play trumpet but a trumpet teacher can help you more than a French Horn lesson teacher since it is closer to playing the flugel than it is playing the french horn. Mouthpiece is closer to a trumpet/flugel MP than that of a FH and your money would be better spent on lessons and learning brass fundamentals than dropping $1500-$2000 on a mellophone.

If you insist on getting a horn the model doesn't really matter since you are not even a brass player. IF and I say IF you can find one super cheap than go that route. If you want to learn brass fundamentals then see if one of your trumpet buddies in the band has a beater horn they use for marching band and borrow that just to again learn brass fundamentals on.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I bought a King mello on eBay for $80. It has good valve compression and is in great mechanical shape. The only thing wrong with it is the lacquer is totally gone which doesn’t bother me in the least. 

Good luck on your future auditions. I’m a bassoon player who learned how to play baritone. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I bought a King mello on eBay for $80. It has good valve compression and is in great mechanical shape. The only thing wrong with it is the lacquer is totally gone which doesn’t bother me in the least. 

Good luck on your future auditions. I’m a bassoon player who learned how to play baritone. 

When I came back to playing after about 20 years bought a 2 valve Bari fairly cheap on eBay. Looked like crap and wish it had the 3rd valve but helped build the chops and lungs back up.

And I wasn't sure if I could come back so it served the purpose 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oboe said:

So I'm a woodwind that's really interested in auditioning for DCI in a few years. I'm planning on getting a Mellophone to learn but I don't exactly have a lot of money and I have no idea what brand or model to get. I've heard Yamaha is best. What mouthpiece and Mellophone should I look into buying?

19 hours ago, Oboe said:

I was going to try and borrow one but my band directors don't like when anyone plays an instrument other than their main unless you're a double reed during marching season, which I am but I already march Clarinet and I highly doubt they would let me switch. They didn't even put my in the show this year bc I was new to clarinet.

Nothing. You shouldn't buy anything. 

It sounds like you're very young and your Directors/Instructors want you to focus on mastering the task you have at clarinet before trying to figure out a wildly different instrument... especially in the middle of their school year right before concert season gets going. Are you planning on switching to mello permanently? or is this a side gig for you? 

Little story - My kids' Drum Major in 2015 was a clarinet for marching (prior to DM) and a double reed (oboe) in Spring Concert groups. Never picked up a Mellophone before April of her Senior year when she got a wild hair up her bell and decided to march drum corps. She spent two very successful seasons as part of a top 12 Open Class group and a year on the brassline of a *very popular* Southern California College band - and it started with barely two months on the horn before her first audition.

There's no need to rush. You have time and DCI will be there for you when you are ready.