Mellophone Brands/Models

Oboe

Search around for an old mello (like 15-20 years old) online somewhere like ebay that is a King or Dynasty that has all moveable parts. Yamaha is where is gets really nice and also expensive, so keep it to a minimum and don't buy anything like what the corps sell at the end of the season. You might also have luck checking around to music shops that the local band directors work with about renting one for a few months too.

With all the audition info out floating around on the web, sometimes corps put on their websites the mouthpieces that they prefer or what the line uses during the summer so search around there and find some current reviews that seem reputable. 

You honestly could get away with not hiring a private instructor. Once you get an instrument and decide on a mouthpiecee, see if any of your trumpet friends that plays well can help you set your embouchure and some basics like all the different types of articulations. Get an ear for the mellophone and work on your range. Can't emphasize enough how starting off with good basics will help you in the long run. Also start from the beginning playing and practicing standing up with the horn held in a good position like you were marching. Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, Oboe said:

I was going to try and borrow one but my band directors don't like when anyone plays an instrument other than their main unless you're a double reed during marching season, which I am but I already march Clarinet and I highly doubt they would let me switch. They didn't even put my in the show this year bc I was new to clarinet.

As a clarinetist and hopefully to be band director... 🙂 I am sure if you explain what you would like to accomplish they will do what they can to prepare you for the corps you wish to march for. Go get'em! 

Get a mouthpiece and buzz.  Once you get that done well then worry about a horn.  Retraining your ear for F takes some doing but meh.  I switched from G bugles Sops, Trumpets (multi keys) French Horns G and F as well as Mello's F and G.  Tone starts at the mouthpiece the horn just amplifies it.  Start doing cardio and running while controlling your breathing.  Keep your options open as a starting player you might need some time to get up to speed playing.  Oh, and get yourself an Arbans studies book.  Good Luck.