DCI Shares Important Information on Hiring & Vetting Processes

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

but then does that not also require how every corps is operated as well?

It does.

As I posted,I believe Drum Corps needs a true, independent,governing body.

That would require corps to give up some autonomy/independence.

As the old saying goes "and therein lies the rub".

To work,corps would have to amend their bylaws to recognize the authority of the governing

body.

Corps would retain "control" over their organization,while needing to follow the requirements of 

of the umbrella organization.

It seems to me that DCI doesn't feel they should be the fall guy.  I can understand that.  Why would a company want to fall for the actions of one.  They didn't allow or condone what GH and others may or may not have done.  Their role in a small sense is to provide an opportunity for things to occur such as contests and venues.  

Does BOA take the responsibility if one band director goes rogue.  That is up to the school district and law enforcement.  

15 minutes ago, dhawtho1 said:

It seems to me that DCI doesn't feel they should be the fall guy.  I can understand that.  Why would a company want to fall for the actions of one.  They didn't allow or condone what GH and others may or may not have done.  Their role in a small sense is to provide an opportunity for things to occur such as contests and venues.  

Does BOA take the responsibility if one band director goes rogue.  That is up to the school district and law enforcement.  

Then DCI should just tear up the protection policies and tell members to call the cops as it ain’t their job. Whole idea is to protect the members as any activity “for the kids” should do. Setting up whistle blowing procedures like has been done this year is part of the protection 

Only way I see DCI really deserving blame is if they were told and did nothing

45 minutes ago, dhawtho1 said:

To a great extent,comparing DCI to BOA is comparing apples to oranges.

Unlike corps,high school marching bands are not independent entities.

They are an extra curricular activity, governed by the school district where they are located.

So you are 100% correct that, in the case of a high school marching band director going "rouge", that would be the 

responsibility of the school district.

In the case of Drum Corps,if a corps director goes "rouge" ,you need a governing authority whose

responsibility it is to address that situation.

Edited by rpbobcat

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

I think the idea of DCI gathering and "owning" PII on individuals is part of the reason for the initial part of the statement about what DCI can and cannot do at the person-level. I know what you mean! I had lots of training and exposure to the gathering and dissemination of PII in my IT career. It is a headache. 

and let's be honest....legally DCi taking the approach they are takes the heat off of them from a liability standpoint. 

1 hour ago, dhawtho1 said:

well, schools can be a different thing, but BOA isn't structured like the NCAA per se. I mean I have yet to see the NCAA slam Michigan State the way they did Penn State, and while Sandusky was horrible and he should die a slow painful death, Nasser deserves a zillion times worse.

29 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

They are an extra curricular activity, governed by the school district where they are located.

So you are 100% correct that, in the case of a high school marching band director going "rouge", that would be the 

In the case of Drum Corps,if a corps director goes "rouge" ,you need a governing authority whose

some may be curricular as well. Not all schools deem marching band an extra

27 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

What if he just does a little eye-liner and a tad of lip gloss?  Would the governing authority pass off on, say, color or gloss requirement?

:innocent:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and let's be honest....legally DCi taking the approach they are takes the heat off of them from a liability standpoint. 

True but no sense DCI digging itself another legal and PR nightmare by not protecting any PII that comes their way. Just something else to be considered in this mess.