DCI Shares Important Information on Hiring & Vetting Processes

35 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

To a great extent,comparing DCI to BOA is comparing apples to oranges.

Unlike corps,high school marching bands are not independent entities.

They are an extra curricular activity, governed by the school district where they are located.

So you are 100% correct that, in the case of a high school marching band director going "rouge", that would be the 

responsibility of the school district.

In the case of Drum Corps,if a corps director goes "rouge" ,you need a governing authority whose

responsibility it is to address that situation.

But DCI can only "govern" corps who participate in DCI.  Just like DCA can only "govern" DCA corps, WGI can only "govern" WGI groups, and so on.

Ultimately, the youth program itself must bear some of the responsibility.  Whether it is a DCI mega-champion or an unaffiliated parade corps, their own BODs should provide oversight.  And there are legal standards that must be met.  If you think the laws should be strengthened, that would be a better mechanism to ensure that all youth are protected instead of just the ones marching with DCI corps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

But DCI can only "govern" corps who participate in DCI.  Just like DCA can only "govern" DCA corps, WGI can only "govern" WGI groups, and so on.

Ultimately, the youth program itself must bear some of the responsibility.  Whether it is a DCI mega-champion or an unaffiliated parade corps, their own BODs should provide oversight.  And there are legal standards that must be met.  If you think the laws should be strengthened, that would be a better mechanism to ensure that all youth are protected instead of just the ones marching with DCI corps.

Thing is,right now,by its own admission, DCI doesn't "govern" anything.

Protecting the youths who march is primary .

But  Drum Corps needs to have an independent governing body that also

has  authority/responsibility over other aspects of the activity.

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

some may be curricular as well. Not all schools deem marching band an extra

The policy in many school districts in the Boston area is that band is a graded class, the marching component which usually consists of football games, half time, parades and in some cases competition is considered extra curricular. About twenty years ago, a local high school included the marching season as part of the grade and a family fought it because it interferes with religious services. The court ruled in favor of the family. This makes sense. Gym is a class, but sports are extra curricular. 

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

What if he just does a little eye-liner and a tad of lip gloss?  Would the governing authority pass off on, say, color or gloss requirement?

:innocent:

if it's stylish

14 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Well, DCI does get to "govern" who can participate in DCI sanctioned shows.

Protecting people (not just the Yutes) is paramount, and DCI has a policy for its offices, and each corps has P&P that are passable by their legal counsel and applicable in the state(s) in which they practice and perform.

Too many vagaries in your last sentence: "Independent", how?  As in no corps affiliation, not corps BoD service, no staff members from 'X'-number of years?  And "authority/responsibility" over what "other aspects" are you referring?

Edited by garfield

Hoo boy, protecting personal info  flashback from years back. Emailed Pioneer about not receiving a receipt for a MMs dues donation. You know who responded with the members personal email and said to contact him instead of the corps

Edited by JimF-LowBari

14 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thought along same lines just wasn’t sure how Corps could protect themselves by showing person agreed to share with DCI. Check off or signature to show agreement might work.

And safe guarding PII at DCI level is big question mark. IOW who would see SSN and the like? High level DCI people only or lower level or even volunteer people who handle (file, copy, data entry, ????) paperwork. And saying higher level people only is not a 100% safeguard either. Oh too many years of this training...

One thing that marching Drum Corps taught, at least in early 80s when I marched, is that you don't give up on doing something you need to do just because it is hard to do.  

And I was in a small, non-touring Corps.  Yet the members I have kept up with (we have a Facebook group) are now college professors, an Alaska crab fisherman, a bunch of IT guys, financial professionals, a spy, 2 band directors, several small business owners,at least 2 professional Engineers, and a Catholic priest (none of us would have believed that in 1983!).  And we learned how to deal the mental and physical toughness from Drum Corps.

I know the activity has changed - but have we given up on teaching that you do the right thing because it is the right thing to do?

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

One thing that marching Drum Corps taught, at least in early 80s when I marched, is that you don't give up on doing something you need to do just because it is hard to do.  

And I was in a small, non-touring Corps.  Yet the members I have kept up with (we have a Facebook group) are now college professors, an Alaska crab fisherman, a bunch of IT guys, financial professionals, a spy, 2 band directors, several small business owners,at least 2 professional Engineers, and a Catholic priest (none of us would have believed that in 1983!).  And we learned how to deal the mental and physical toughness from Drum Corps.

I know the activity has changed - but have we given up on teaching that you do the right thing because it is the right thing to do?

How the hades did you get “give up” out of my post? All I’m doing is bringing up something else that needs to be worked on. Rather DCI work on it now instead of when crap hits the fan... like the GH and RB issues

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hoo boy, protecting personal info  flashback from years back. Emailed Pioneer about not receiving a receipt for a MMs dues donation. You know who responded with the members personal email and said to contact him instead of the corps

well i think time has proven that organization can't do anything right

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

I think for reasons having little to do with sexual abuse and misconduct, drum corps may be too unwieldy for an independent governing board. 

There is a difference between leadership and authority. I would rather DCI show leadership and I believe this  policy is an important first step in leadership. Too much authority would lead to infighting. DCI already has a classic example of authority grabs in the G7 disaster.

Now as I write this, a possible solution could be DCI vetting applicants. They would submit the information for criminal background checks, verify the credentials, and check the references. This would be a paperwork only job, so the corps could still decide if the applicant or volunteer is right for the corps, but DCI could verify that the person does not have a criminal background and the references exist. This way the corps can say “We verified this information and he/she was approved by DCI as well.