DCI Shares Important Information on Hiring & Vetting Processes

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well i think time has proven that organization can't do anything right

Yep and that was between this years mess and the old thread brought up last week. Same as it ever was... 

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I think for reasons having little to do with sexual abuse and misconduct, drum corps may be too unwieldy for an independent governing board. 

There is a difference between leadership and authority. I would rather DCI show leadership and I believe this  policy is an important first step in leadership. Too much authority would lead to infighting. DCI already has a classic example of authority grabs in the G7 disaster.

Now as I write this, a possible solution could be DCI vetting applicants. They would submit the information for criminal background checks, verify the credentials, and check the references. This would be a paperwork only job, so the corps could still decide if the applicant or volunteer is right for the corps, but DCI could verify that the person does not have a criminal background and the references exist. This way the corps can say “We verified this information and he/she was approved by DCI as well. 

I do agree DCI should have some review everything.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How the hades did you get “give up” out of my post? All I’m doing is bringing up something else that needs to be worked on. Rather DCI work on it now instead of when crap hits the fan... like the GH and RB issues

I did not intend to interpret your posts as "give up".  Your post was the most succinct synthesis of one issue - there are others on this thread that do seem to be saying "it can't be done".   And DCI should work on it now.  They have already botched this several times - there might not be another chance

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

One thing that marching Drum Corps taught, at least in early 80s when I marched, is that you don't give up on doing something you need to do just because it is hard to do.  

And I was in a small, non-touring Corps.  Yet the members I have kept up with (we have a Facebook group) are now college professors, an Alaska crab fisherman, a bunch of IT guys, financial professionals, a spy, 2 band directors, several small business owners,at least 2 professional Engineers, and a Catholic priest (none of us would have believed that in 1983!).  And we learned how to deal the mental and physical toughness from Drum Corps.

I know the activity has changed - but have we given up on teaching that you do the right thing because it is the right thing to do?

In general, I have a positive attitude but I am a realist. The realist understands that Drum corps is dealing with a situation that if not handled properly could tear it apart. The positive side does still see many admirable qualities. That being said, when I was in high school and college, I followed drum corps like a fiend. I knew stats, repertoires, knew kids who marched, knew the rumors, how the corps worked, etc. I would have marched if circumstances were different, which included being in the seminary and not being available for weekend practices, something I’m sure your friend the priest discovered, but in spite of some wild happenings, drum corps did build character. 

For about twenty years, I attended shows but that was about it. I did not know many who marched or instructed, the local drum corps scene was all but gone, though excitement was rejuvenated when BAC made finals in 1999, Beanpot bring a great show, and the heated rivalry between Spartans and 7th Regiment developed, but I did not go to finals or Allentown most years because I only had so much time for vacation and when nieces, nephews, and cousin’ children were small,  vacation meant family. About 2011, finding time for family vacations got impossible as the kids got older and had commitments, so Allentown and Indy became vacation destinations. I also got reacquainted with how drum corps function, met folks involved in all levels,  and it is different, but the kids are still motivated, they work hard, and drum corps still overall, in spite of some bad characters, does build character and teach doing the right thing. I do see situations where some corps lose sight of what’s important, but it can be temporary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I did not intend to interpret your posts as "give up".  Your post was the most succinct synthesis of one issue - there are others on this thread that do seem to be saying "it can't be done".   And DCI should work on it now.  They have already botched this several times - there might not be another chance

Ok we’re reading the posts the same way. Thought I really messed up the way I worded a long post. Not a problem

• Thanks 1